Off Season Practicing

Banner

Yes, almost five months between events is a problem.

Parking lot rogue friskiness in your car or similar would invite negative attention in many ways. Not recommended.

Ken shared some alternative suggestions above, much better solution.

Finally, the best solution, would be to do as Tucson and Sierra Vista (limited due to fire crews on site)  do is hold abbreviated summer events here that start early and end early to beat the end of the day “brutal” heat. Courses a little shorter and simpler to streamline setup.

We (AZ Region) successfully held a four event series every summer *for over thirty years*. Sometimes evening events under lights at Firebird Skidpad #4 that drew over 150 entrants, as well as early morning to 1:00’ish events that also were well attended. 

All we need is a committed summer crew that wants to bring that back and make it happen. I suspect there is still the interest. Do I see your hand raised?😉

• Like 1

You pose an interesting question there Banner.

If you are driving into work or to a store, you can still practice looking ahead to where you want to go. We all should be looking ahead on the road anyway but bad habits are easy to form. The more tricky thing with autocross is fine adjustment of your line is done with your peripheral vision. 

If you are looking for more seat time and have a little bit of money to spend, Octane raceway is an option. Karts don’t translate into car driving techniques very cleanly, but getting comfortable pushing harder without making mistakes will translate. I’m talking about systemically pushing a little harder into a turn, or carrying a little more apex speed. Looking a little further ahead at slow pinched corners (more important than looking ahead on fast corners lap time wise).

The way I have stayed sharp is mostly studying my previous runs. I save all of them and watch them section by section. There is some good reeding on this and other things at Beyond Seat Time https://www.beyondseattime.com

Hope that helps a little. 

3 hours ago, Nokones said:

Las Vegas and AZ Border Regions hold events through the summer months. I believe Las Vegas has an event next weekend and AZ Border has an event on the 23rd at Marana.

Thank you! I plan on attending at least one out two Tucson events. 

2 hours ago, smeyers said:

Yes, almost five months between events is a problem.

Parking lot rogue friskiness in your car or similar would invite negative attention in many ways. Not recommended.

Ken shared some alternative suggestions above, much better solution.

Finally, the best solution, would be to do as Tucson and Sierra Vista (limited due to fire crews on site)  do is hold abbreviated summer events here that start early and end early to beat the end of the day “brutal” heat. Courses a little shorter and simpler to streamline setup.

We (AZ Region) successfully held a four event series every summer *for over thirty years*. Sometimes evening events under lights at Firebird Skidpad #4 that drew over 150 entrants, as well as early morning to 1:00’ish events that also were well attended. 

All we need is a committed summer crew that wants to bring that back and make it happen. I suspect there is still the interest. Do I see your hand raised?😉

I'm definitely in if there would be enough interest in bringing it back. 🙋‍♂️

An evening would be a ton of fun too. 

1 hour ago, Matt U said:

You pose an interesting question there Banner.

If you are driving into work or to a store, you can still practice looking ahead to where you want to go. We all should be looking ahead on the road anyway but bad habits are easy to form. The more tricky thing with autocross is fine adjustment of your line is done with your peripheral vision. 

If you are looking for more seat time and have a little bit of money to spend, Octane raceway is an option. Karts don’t translate into car driving techniques very cleanly, but getting comfortable pushing harder without making mistakes will translate. I’m talking about systemically pushing a little harder into a turn, or carrying a little more apex speed. Looking a little further ahead at slow pinched corners (more important than looking ahead on fast corners lap time wise).

The way I have stayed sharp is mostly studying my previous runs. I save all of them and watch them section by section. There is some good reeding on this and other things at Beyond Seat Time https://www.beyondseattime.com

Hope that helps a little. 

Thank you, I recently subscribed to Beyond Seat Time, very well worth it IMO. I too spend time studying my previous runs and breaking them down by section. 🙂

I had not thought about karts though, that may be a good alternative. 

Well, AMP obviously cant do evening events with all of their restrictions. So another venue would need to be found. And the setup crew for evening events always experienced working in the hottest time of the day.

So in my mind the early morning approach always made the most sense. Everyone involved were exposed to the most tolerable conditions. Anything is better than……nothing. 

The American Autocross Series provides shade canopies and ice chests full of ice and water at each work station during the summer months. AAS also experiences 105-110 degree weather during July and August with some humidity that is higher than hear. The events are well attended during those months.

1 hour ago, smeyers said:

Well, AMP obviously cant do evening events with all of their restrictions. So another venue would need to be found. And the setup crew for evening events always experienced working in the hottest time of the day.

So in my mind the early morning approach always made the most sense. Everyone involved were exposed to the most tolerable conditions. Anything is better than……nothing. 

I'm fine with that as well.

Lots of good ideas being thrown out here. I would suggest attending one of the upcoming SC meetings with a list of ideas/proposal on how the region could support these events.

Yes these events have been done in the past, but logistically there were more options other than AMP to choose from.

Next SC meeting is scheduled for July 15 at 6 pm and will be virtual. If you have a proposal please send to Kevin V or myself 7 days prior to the meeting so it can be distributed to the SC and added to the agenda for discussion/decision. 

Kim 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Many of us practice at the Tucson or Sierra Vista Summer Events. They start early and are packed up and leaving usually by 1:00 or shortly thereafter. Before the real heat hits. Very fun.

Sierra Vista just added an event at the Musselman Honda Circuit Track Sunday July 18. Check their website soon for more details.  SV Website.

See you there?👍😎

Edited by smeyers

Rio Grande Region SCCA – Official Site for the Rio Grande Region SCCA (rgrscca.com)  

Farmington NM (giant McGee complex parking lot) has been back up and running this year and next event after this Sat-Sun(July 10-11) is July31 and August 1.

They are all 2 day events and the 5000 ft+ altitude plus river and canals running through town make it cool there,

usually a few degrees one way or the other from SVista and perhaps 15 degrees cooler than Phoenix or Tucson.

Figure on 10-12 runs per day. 2 run groups each day and over early. RVs ok overnight on race site. Usually a clump of them. 

Edited by Chuck

On 7/10/2021 at 2:43 PM, Chuck said:

Rio Grande Region SCCA – Official Site for the Rio Grande Region SCCA (rgrscca.com)  

Farmington NM (giant McGee complex parking lot) has been back up and running this year and next event after this Sat-Sun(July 10-11) is July31 and August 1.

They are all 2 day events and the 5000 ft+ altitude plus river and canals running through town make it cool there,

usually a few degrees one way or the other from SVista and perhaps 15 degrees cooler than Phoenix or Tucson.

Figure on 10-12 runs per day. 2 run groups each day and over early. RVs ok overnight on race site. Usually a clump of them. 

When will the MSR be posted in order to register?

MSR shows lots of options for the summer. Be sure to reset your distance filter to see them all. NM apparently isn’t using MSR, or hasn’t posted their dates yet.

For those not able to do the more distant one or two day events, join us poorer people at the Tucson/Sierra Vista events more locally. Musselman this coming Sunday near Tucson being sponsored by SV. Marana Airport the following Sunday.😎

10 hours ago, smeyers said:

MSR shows lots of options for the summer. Be sure to reset your distance filter to see them all. NM apparently isn’t using MSR, or hasn’t posted their dates yet.

For those not able to do the more distant one or two day events, join us poorer people at the Tucson/Sierra Vista events more locally. Musselman this coming Sunday near Tucson being sponsored by SV. Marana Airport the following Sunday.😎

Hi Scott:

The event they (SCCA Rio Grande Region) had this past weekend was posted on MSR.