Limited run group sizes.

Ric Grasssmick

20 hours ago, Ric Grasssmick said:

So, were the run group sizes limited due to Covid-19 restrictions; or because of the tons of motorcycle people sharing the facility? Not complaining, just curious.

If it wasn’t for the social distancing aspect and lack of interaction between the two sessions, that was a fantastic format! I really enjoyed the smaller run groups and the short duration between runs. 

Hats off to the Chiefs and crew to do so well, the event went very smooth!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I realize that I've always been more of a "rather beg forgiveness than ask permission" kind of guy, and I'm aware that clubs and other larger organizations have to be more careful in this regard.  I also understand the Steering committee might have it's hands tied with Topeka on this one. 

That said, something seems amiss given the following link.

https://www.westworldaz.com/events2

There are a whole host of larger than 50 people gatherings planned for Westworld (which is in Maricopa County) starting on Sept 25.  The Maricopa County Home show is the same weekend as our next event.

Also I live right down the street from CCV on Happy Valley and their soccer fields are packed with people (spectators) from one end to the other just about every night? 

What do they know or do that we do not?

• Like 1

SCCA regulations say that we have to follow local ordinances in this, so until Arizona/Maricopa county lift restrictions we'll be following the 50 person limit.  I know it sucks, but I think the compromises we've put in place have allowed events to still function at an acceptable level. 

• Like 1

I believe as of today, Nevada just lifted their outdoor event capacity from 50 people to 250 people. Maybe Arizona/Maricopa County is only days away to follow suit in lifting/increasing the outdoor capacity.

Kenny Mitchell

Nokones@kenmitchell.com

An easy 5,000 players and and spectators out on the 35 ball fields at CCV tonight when I drove by.  In about the same amount of outdoor space as we use. 

I'm guessing on the #...but I'm not kidding....it was a LOT of people...     

Some school districts will allow fans at football games.  For instance:

Chandler High will operate at 25% capacity for spectators to begin the season, CHS Athletics tweeted. Same with Hamilton, which had almost all of its tickets sold out for Friday's home opener against Peoria Centennial on Monday.

Some (but not all) have a similar statement.

Phoenix International Raceway will allow 8400 people at the November 6th event.

Clearly there is a way to hold normal events.  It looks like there are specific steps that must be taken to exceed the 50 person limit.  It seems fairly straightly forward to me.  If someone on the steering committee wants to work on it, great.  If not, I will volunteer to get the appropriate paperwork.  All I ask is a commitment that if I succeed, the steering committee will follow thru.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hit send too soon.  Another example, NASA will have a two day event at AMP next weekend with way more than 50 people.

In my mind, AMP is the business that needs to follow the rules (whatever they may be).  We are just patrons using their facilities.

We are required by SCCA to follow local/state COVID guidance to hold events and secure insurance that AMP and SCCA mandate. AMP’s position on the matter is their business decision but has no bearing on the SCCA position. Would encourage anyone to petition the Governor or SCCA to remove or lessen their restrictions. 

Agree that the SCCA has spoken that we must follow local rules.  They have had many events in states that allow.  I just disagree what the "local rules" are.  I volunteered to investigate.  I believe it is a paperwork issue.  If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it, but I don't think so.  I think all of us want to get back to normal - SAFELY.  You agree?

• Like 1

This seems like a positive offer of help and a step in our quest to return to “normalcy”. If there is paperwork available that recognizes our events are within safe limits, who wouldn’t favor doing so? Let’s see what’s possible.

By the way, seems like Dave (again) is taking on way too much himself, with all the new challenges we’re experiencing. MSR should have a dedicated person to manage and monitor, not the Director. Someone with prior experience would be preferred. 

Anyone willing and able?

• Like 2

• Dave locked this topic