Welcome Back, Everyone. What's New?

smeyers

I know I'm really looking forward to another season of autocrossing at AMP. It's been a while for most of us, and surely a few things have changed since last April.

So, what's new with you? Tires, wheels, suspension pieces, even cars. What's got you looking forward to coming back this year? Change classes too, maybe? What challenges are you expecting or wondering about?

And, maybe YOU'RE new! Who are you, what'cha got? What are some of your goals.

It’s interesting looking through the current entry list. Seeing who’s coming with what.

I see a couple of Kia Stingers are coming out😲. That should be interesting. Horsepower galore.  But, one is misclassed. The 6 Cyl is F Street, and the 4 Cyl should be G Street.🤔

I feel like I’m bringing a billy club to a gun fight.😉 I wish my wife would loan me her Veloster R.😎

I was hoping to have a fresh set of seats and possibly harnesses to help hold me in. That didn’t happen but I did get a fresh set of tires. I might try to lower the front a bit more but may not get the time to do that and adjust the alignment. So I’ll be driving my Monte pit like I stole it as usual. It will also be nice having my crew chief (dad) out there again. 

Coming back to AMP for the first time since April 2019 with a new car! I drove it at Marana last month and forgot how much fun autocross was. A stock 2008 GTI with the only upgrades being tires, wheels and spacers is a big change from the 1990 STS Miata I used to drive. Shocks MIGHT be in the future, but don't have the $1000 or so budgeted right now for buying Bilsteins and getting them installed 😅.

In May, I went to Radford Racing School (formerly Bondurant Racing School) to become better at high performance driving techniques. Radford Racing School was a ton of fun and I learned a lot during my time there. 

Decided in August to install some camber bolts, ARP wheel studs, and rear lower control arms for my 2013 Scion FR-S. Lance helped me install the camber bolts and rear lower control arms. I got my FR-S aligned as close to my requests as possible and I like the handling so far.

Looking forward to coming back to autocross because the events at AMP are a lot of fun and well organized. Also looking forward to watching all the cool cars doing their autocross runs.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get new tires because some things came up last month that killed the budget for new tires. Sadly, my times won't be very competitive on used up tires, but I'll have fun anyway 🙂

• Like 1

In February 2021, I took the Grand Prix course when it was still called Bondurant. On the 4th day, we got to use the 717 HP keys in our Hellcat Widebodys. Driving the Hellcat on the autocross course with 717 HP and all the electronic nanny's turn off gave me the confidence to turn off the nanny's in my own car. I would recommend the classes for everyone, especially teenagers.  The teen course is the same as the performance driving course, but half the price. It's still not cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than the increase in insurance rates if your teen gets in an accident. After the 3 day course, my son's confidence and driving skills improved noticeably. Four years after taking the teen course, he hasn't had an accident but most of his friends have. 

On 9/6/2021 at 6:07 PM, freakin_elrod said:

Oh Scott also forgot to mention he's piloting something new (he's been dialing it in this past summer at Marana). Noticed a 2017 Golf R classed in STH, it should be in STU (older less powerful Golf R is an STH car though.

That’s me with the Golf. I’m new, haha. Day after I registered I realized I may have made a mistake and changed my registration.  Your post confirmed I made the right correction.  Appreciate it!

Since I’m posting, I have a quick question. I’m registered for the morning (need sound check), but have plans right after the morning session ends. Do morning drivers have afternoon obligations with the second group?  If so, I won’t be making a very good first impression. 

21 hours ago, smeyers said:

It is somewhat traditional in these Forums to post a tantalizing picture that shows a mysteriously vague feature of the new ride. Just sayin’……🤔 

I had to reschedule the purchase so it won’t make an appearance until next month. 

The Corvair got zero upgrades. However, the little spindly front bearings wore out again after only 2 years of use and actually spun in the hub. So I switched to US-made Timken bearings with Sta-Lube high temp grease (and a replacement hub of course). Evidently these are the preferred parts and materials for autocross abuse on old cars.