B Group sold out in 5 minutes?

Klayton

When I tried to register for Group B last night at 8:05, it said that it was already sold out. Can that be true? I signed up anyway as I figured it was an error. But then I started to think...what if it wasn't? Can I be placed in Group A and then wait list for B?

55 minutes ago, Kim Kemper said:

Klayton

fyi, from  8:00 to 8:02 pm thirty five folks signed up with another 5 signed up in the following 2 minutes. 

Wow!! It’s like a concert or something! 😃 Do I need to register for Group A to be guaranteed a spot?

For those used to Mind the Cones, MotorsportsReg works a little different.  If you want a guaranteed spot you need to select something that has open spaces.  No way to guarantee someone will cancel their registration in B to open up a spot for you.  Also, if you are not 1st not first not he wait list you would need multiple people to cancel.

Some groups are in high demand, especially with the split morning/afternoon.  Last event morning was real popular due to the heat in the afternoon.  This event should be much cooler, forecast currently for the mid-80's.  Balancing run groups can be tricky, we need to ensure sufficient worker coverage (both during the run group and other assignments that need to happen before or after the event starts).

Balancing I'm gonna throw in a paid announcement here pointing to my thread looking for T&S and waiver help for different run groups.  We'd like to build up some core groups that always work those spots in the same run groups.  That will allow us to make sure we have people trained up in those areas which will help our events flow much smoother.

What about charging $5 more for the morning? I’d pay it. 

Also back east we had an annual preregistration option. A good portion of the club would pay for all 8 events before the season (they did offer a small discount for this). The. The club gets the money upfront and frees up the scramble before each event a little. 

Not trying to reinvent the wheel…

One way to resolve the mad rush when registration opens up is, have all drivers in the same class run together and divide the classes evenly into the given number of run groups and rotate the run groups for the next event. I.E. if run group 1 or A, has classes SSR, PAX, STX, ESP, CP, (the respective ladies run with the open classes) at the upcoming event than they would rotate to run group 2 or B for the following event.  Run group 1 or A will work for run group 2 or B, and run group 2 or B will work for run group 1 or A. You will still have your morning and afternoon sessions but, the run groups will change for each event.

This concept would eliminate the mad rush to pick a run group and allow for registration to open up well in advance. This could also resolve the problem with the volunteers that sign up for the same run group whereas, you don't have enough workers working the designated work group. All the volunteers don't run in the same class at this time.

Loudes (whomever you are 😉) and Ken, we’ve done both before.

At one time we offered a Series Entry Discount if paid up front, but did not guarantee run group preference. That went away as tracking complications emerged. People had calendar conflicts and had to cancel entries, wanted a refund, etc. 

Ken, done that too before. The Steering Committee met each year to set the rotational Groups for each session. In addition to just rotating Classes, how many cars were in each Class had to be balanced so that each run Group had a reasonable amount of entries. Sometimes they guessed wrong. And, some people have to run mornings, or afternoons, or they can’t attend. So they just didn’t/couldn’t come.

So, in my opinion, what we have evolved into now is for our Region the best answer from all arrangements that came before. Once we return to people being able to attend with more relaxed number restrictions (like visitors), I think this new to us effect will diminish.

Edited by smeyers

I prefer the Run Group selection vs forcing cars to run in the same group by class.    This has been a big debate on here previously and Run Group Preference was the direction selected as drivers will just select a different class to get the group they want and that creates additional work to run the events.

Stuff sells out quickly these days, not just AZ Solo.

I agree with Scott and Jeff; the next two autocross days for October and November, I have events I have to be at in the morning for my job, meaning I need Run Group C or D. If I didn't have Run Group Preference, I probably couldn't even make it. Hoping future events don't happen the same day as my work obligations, but that's my problem to figure out scheduling-wise. 😄 This way I can still make it to compete!

On 10/6/2021 at 8:32 AM, smeyers said:

Once we return to people being able to attend with more relaxed number restrictions (like visitors), I think this new to us effect will diminish.

I'm a newb, so excuse me if this is a dumb question. Does your comment mean that the number of drivers would increase? October was my first event and it seemed like it was pretty full already. Would be tough to get a decent amount of laps with more drivers. 

Is the number of folks wanting to participate this year typical or have numbers bumped up? 

Edited by ziemsj01

36 minutes ago, ziemsj01 said:

I'm a newb, so excuse me if this is a dumb question. Does your comment mean that the number of drivers would increase? October was my first event and it seemed like it was pretty full already. Would be tough to get a decent amount of laps with more drivers. 

Is the number of folks wanting to participate this year typical or have numbers bumped up? 

As you correctly observed we are at about capacity on drivers per run group, there are no plans at present to increase the run size with the result then being fewer runs. The restrictions on guests will also likely continue for the near future as if we exceed 100 folks on site we need to provide security at the site per our contract with AMP. (which is both expensive and challenging to find sworn officers)

My observation is that both a number of SCCA and PCA clubs have seen increased demand for autox events during the past year.