Course Map AMP Fall 2021 Event 3 Nov 13th

Nick Sloan

5 hours ago, Nokones said:

Is it possible in the future course designs that the start beam be further away from the starting line so it is not a drag race type start? Just curious.

You’re trying to take away my only advantage!!! (AWD). 😂 

And this course was my favorite so far this season. First time I didn’t get lost. Haha 

Edited by ER9240

You have an interesting query about light proximity, Kenneth. 

Some thoughts:

More start light spacing will reduce criticality of performing a good launch in any individual's car (the ET penalty for stalling, bogging , or lighting the tires too much may not be quite as profound) , but in the end, those in your class with cars that are AWD, have a more sophiscated launch control, more tire, or are more rear heavy will ALL still have an advantage even with more spacing to the light- they will  simply be going faster when they do trip the light

Doing a right angle course "running" start before the lights, where one has to maybe let up going around the tight corner before tripping lights have been a traditional equalizer.  But I question that it actually accomplishes anything worthwhile with the right angle. Those who have a weak or no  limited slip are definitely at more of a disadvantage in a tight bend before the lights. And those with LSDs, wear them out more quickly. In the end,  all the basic traction attributes I mentioned above will STILL let those other guys in your class get on it sooner in the right angle and be faster at the start light.

Last, while solo by its very nature is standing start, it still isn't Pro solo or 1/4 mile drag racing, so at least reaction time is not part of our bag of tricks to master!

The track flowed very well and was easy to follow. I did not hear many DNF calls and when I did it was usually a bit too much speed to go on the correct side of a cone. Also there were very few cone hits in the morning. It was very fast, too bad I was having some high rpm engine problems, but I got them figured out just in time for the final run. 

This has easily been my favorite course in the 3 years I've been doing AutoX. I was just thinking before the event how cool it would be if we had at least one track where we could go flat out almost the entire length of the track, and thats exactly what we got to do in those beginning slaloms. It was a great mix of extremely fast straights and tight corners with some good sweepers. Very well done!

Interesting feedback, I thought it was one of the more challenging and brutal courses I've seen in the last couple years. I struggled looking ahead and getting set up for next obstacle. Probably just distracted by all the bungled 2nd-3rd shifts I had to make. Regardless thank you for designing. 

On 11/15/2021 at 7:25 PM, Nick Sloan said:

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback! I will try to make something equally as fun for our December event!!

I may be biased with my muscle car, but I'd love to see more fast tracks like this 😉 Would be cool to stagger 2 technical tracks for the miatas and 2 fast tracks for the v8s per season so we get the best of both worlds.

Really enjoyed the course, it was quite enjoyable to mash the skinny pedal for as long as possible over many sections of the course. 

A few data points captured by the free TrackAddict program showed I hit a top speed of 62.3MPH with Left & Right peak G-Forces of 1.32 and 1.31 respectively. 45% of the course was accelerating, 28% braking, 23% steady state turn, and 4% coasting. Phone based GPS was accurate to 5.0m, so some variation in accuracy is present.