November event - date change

Manfred

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 10:55 AM, Kent said:

Is there any chance of a novice entry for this November event? I owe my LA nephew and can coach him myself.

We'll see how the October events go and then talk about it at our next board meeting, the first Wednesday of November. I'll post an update then.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Kent, my friend registered for the upcoming event and received an email that Novices were not allowed, unless they can prove that they have prior experience outside of the Boarder Region.

We have a mandatory maximum 50 participants as per Pima County rules down here (due to the pandemic) which is likely why the restriction has been imposed.

On 11/19/2020 at 10:13 PM, Michael Johns said:

What counts as 'experience' ? Like I'm new to Autocross but not to motorsports so I feel kinda goofy being in novice class at all, I don't need ride-alongs or coaching, just seat time.

Michael, so my opinion is that you should register for ‘Open’ rather than ‘Novice.’ Now a little as to why I say that. There are a lot of novices that have never even been down a canyon road with even a little bit of speed, so it’s a catch-all blanket. Normally with a novice driver we aren’t coaching per say, we are just making sure that they don’t get lost or turned around for the most part. After it’s obvious they know where they are going, that’s usually when your back on your own. With COVID, the no passengers/instructors jumping from car to car would be my guess as to the no novice enforcement for right now. 

Regarding prior motorsports experience, that helps a lot. The biggest difference for autocross vs most motorsports is that the cadence of turns is much higher than any other form of racing I have done. That includes karts and road racing motorcycles. That being said it easy to get behind in where you are on course, but if you ease into it you should be fine.