Corvair in CAM-T

I just wanna reach out to the rest of the CAM-T competitors in the name of good sportsmanship. My Corvair is not legal in your class AT ALL! But it's a 60s American car and CAM-T is about the most appropriate class for my car, especially considering the close competition so far! Lovin' it! 

I barely beat out Sean Bubeck and Juan Leal. So let me say it first, if you guys wanna give me the boot, I'll understand. Don't even sweat it! 🙂

Normally I'd bring this up at the track but covid restrictions prevent that. 

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20201018-182927_Chrome.jpg

So, this is a good conversation to have and I've been thinking about it as well.  To be technical, Sean's F150 shouldn't be in CAM T either.  It's probably my fault as I told him to register in CAM T without really thinking about it, as it just looks like a CAM T build to me. 

Personally I love having all these old builds in CAM T and yes, we are all pretty competitive...that's what makes it so much fun.  I also understand if others in the class do not want to race against the technically non-CAM T cars.  If anyone does object, please speak up and we'll get everyone classed appropriately. 

To me, the beauty of the CAM classes is we really don't worry about this kind of stuff because for the most part, most of us aren't supposed to be here anyway.   🤣          

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now I don't feel so bad about beating Sean! 🤣 

But yeah, I love the competition and the variety of machinery. 

I raced once in CAM here in Phoenix a year ago or so. The field was smaller and all the cars were fast. I got whooped! I was a little bummed there wasn't a better place to compete with the Corvair when I finally moved back from CA. But 11 cars in CAM-T makes it interesting! Pretty stoked right now!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Same for me...if you guys want me to dig into exactly where I should be classed, not a problem. I don't really care that much since I'm there to push myself and beat on my project. I'll be looking at times and comparing across classes anyway. I'm having fun regardless and beating Lance is always my primary objective.

Also I will need to outrun that Corvair now that you've made me aware of getting beat. Watch out. 😉

• 1 month later...

Covairs are fun affordable solo cars. I ran one for years back in NER in the 1970's. Perhaps just a simple oversight that the Corvair wasn't written into the CAM rules. Covairs are relatively inexpensive to set up and can run very wide rims on all 4 corners w/out much bodywork mod (if any). While not very heavy, they definitely lack HP. I understand the very very best punched-out (2.9L?) flat sixes that are still reliable are only capable of about 200-230 HP crank at best.  If you are serious about running and may be running out of AZ Region, it might be worth a letter to the SCCA for official inclusion. Click on this link and use pull down menu in the form for Solo Events board. https://www.crbscca.com

My main argument for CAM inclusion would be that Charlie Clark ran his Covair in C-Prepared at the SCCA Nationals for many years. Charlie's was well prepared and driven but always well off the pace for trophies. It is highly doubful that Corvair would ever be an overdog in CAM.

1966 Corvair Yenko Stinger Clone SCCA Solo Race Car For Sale Front1966 Corvair Yenko Stinger Clone SCCA Solo Race Car For Sale Engine

Under powered you say?  😄

Here is a friend's Corvair that I've raced against several times.  Its bad fast...

http://www.superchevy.com/features/1612-jb-grangers-ls-powered-pro-touring-1966-chevy-corvair

Good to hear Charlie Clark's name mentioned also.  He is who I had put the roll bar in my car about 5 years ago and is still a fixture at autocross events in the Midwest.  He was so excited in 2014 the first time we ran CAM class at Nationals in Lincoln.  Said it reminded him of the early CP days...

V8 where a 6 shouldn't be, way under weight, too short wheelbase, can't imagine why that thing might not be allowed. 🤣

But regarding Corvairs in CAM, I'm quite certain that the Corvair is intentionally written out of the rules. 

Yeah, it's old and made in the US but it's also a rear engine, air cooled, sometimes turbo'd car with all wheel independent suspension. Definately not American Muscle.