Reclassed myself on accident

NickB

My Catalytic converter went missing... a frustrating experience but I'm positive there is a lost cat poster joke in there somewhere.  Anyway, the OEM cat is like $700-$1400 depending on which dealer you ask but an aftermarket unit is $200.  I thought this was great news, a high flow cat for cheaper than OEM! Then I realized that takes me out of street class, I think I should be and into Street Touring, maybe STR? So long story short, how do I get myself moved now that I've already registered?

I've got a low mileage 2006 S2000 cat somewhere on one of the shelves in my garage as I've been running the Berk Hi Flow on my car since 2011.    Honestly, I'd just put a Berk on there unless you need to pass CA smog for some reason.

Yeah, that's what I put on, I didn't wanna run a test pipe. I hate the smell and I feel slightly better about my impact with a cat of some kind on there. According to the rulebook, though, high flow cats moves you out of street and into STR.

Just my $0.02 Nick, unless you are competing nationally or at the tippy top for the regional class that you are running, you would probably be fine staying in the street class. I know that I wouldn't mind it. There is going to be an ever-so-slight performance advantage removing the cat, but shouldn't be more than a tenth of a second on the last course.

Just a guess and my opinion...

I agree with this assessment. At the highest levels of competition amongst those cars considered to be THE cars to have for the class, might be cause for concern.

Most of us do not have that car, nor are our cars prepared to a National level. Did you spend $10,000 on your shocks, and are they double-adjustable for example?

No?

I’d buy a reasonably priced aftermarket cat and call it a day.👌

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still trying to get enough new parts to make the car close to how it was stock.  Haven't even though about my 120k mile OEM coilovers yet. I don't do it for the points. I'm, here for the fun and I'm not a fast driver anyway. I might just keep signing up for street next season based on these recomendations. If I get anywhere remotely close to 1 tenth of the top times, I'll look for a stock cat to put back on so I'm fair and square.