eBay Listing for Bilstein Shocks

Mach5Mk5

I know of some illegitimate parts on eBay, so just wanted to see if anyone has experience with Bilstein products on there. B6s for my MK5 GTI are on backorder until July from dealers like ECSTuning and other online outlets; this listing purports to have them right now and ready to ship at the same price I'd find them from any other seller online. Anyone have experience buying Bilsteins, rather than just regular replacement parts, from eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352080915419?fits=Year%3A2008|Model%3AGTI&hash=item51f9a86bdb:g:ltoAAOSw5cRZN7es

Just sayin’……..

I usually look sites up on sitejabber……didn’t last time and now have a pending disputed billing case open at my Bank.

Be very careful out there.🤨

Overview

CARiD has a consumer rating of 2.8 stars from 4,501 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about CARiD most frequently mention customer service, credit card and next day problems.CARiD ranks 17th among Auto Partssites.

• Service 
  • Value 
  • Shipping 
  • Returns 
  • Quality 

This company responds to reviews on average within 2 days

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 2.1%

CORRECTION: They only have the driver side rear one. Thanks for the suggestion! I looked up CarID and they’re A+ BBB accredited. Problem seems to be a lot of stuff they sell is low quality junk. Too bad they only have the one corner, or else I’d order them there 🙃.

Maybe my mechanic can get a hold of them, it’s too hot for me to try to install them in my condo parking space anyway.

Edited by Mach5Mk5

If you're looking for decent, not too expensive, off-the-shelf, autocross shock, I would try a Koni Yellow Sport Shock before I would try a Bilstein. The Konis are adjustable and the Bilsteins are not. Another source is Shock Warehouse. Did you try looking at Tirerack?

10 hours ago, Nokones said:

If you're looking for decent, not too expensive, off-the-shelf, autocross shock, I would try a Koni Yellow Sport Shock before I would try a Bilstein. The Konis are adjustable and the Bilsteins are not. Another source is Shock Warehouse. Did you try looking at Tirerack?

Yep! Tire Rack and every other supplier for these shocks and struts is out of the front struts, but has the back shocks. My mechanic confirmed this is a reputable eBay seller as well for the Bilsteins, so I'd be fine to order from them. I'm checking with Scott Urich if he had a reason for recommending the Bilsteins vs the Koni, since he used to drive a MK5 GTI with Bilsteins on it. Tire Rack has Koni more readily available, and $100 cheaper for a set than the Bilsteins. I'm starting a new job at ASU I have to buy a $720 parking permit for, so I'm debating whether to get this done or not yet. 😄 

Scott Urich said he'll be switching to Koni Yellows for his next go too; they're on sale from Tire Rack. National Champ titles too? Seems I've got my answer for suspension! Anyone have an idea what Tire Rack's "special" pricing means? I can't find anything about a sale or how long it goes on for, but it's a sizable discount of 20% off at least on the strut and shock set.

12 hours ago, SEymann said:

If you decide to buy from Tire Rack, be sure to use the link on our home page.  The club gets a small commission.

Absolutely! I might have to put the shocks off longer though; car is now shaking on the front at certain speeds after a 800 mile round trip. Gotta test if it’s just tire imbalance or if it’s gotta go to my mechanic for the millionth time. 🙃

You won't want to delay too long since Koni is having their annual 20% off sale thru the end of June.

I recommend checking with our local autocrossers and suspension experts Jeff and Nicole Wong, owners of PropartsUSA.com.  A quick check of their website and Koni Sports for your car are priced similar to tirerack.  Plus you would be supporting an AZ small business.

As for the front end shaking on a car of that vintage, I would suspect the lower control arm bushings are way past their expiration date.  If the bushings (or entire control arms) have not been replaced, I would get that done regardless.  I have done this on a few old cars recently and it makes a HUGE improvement on ride, handling and NVH.  

2 hours ago, CRBWS6 said:

You won't want to delay too long since Koni is having their annual 20% off sale thru the end of June.

I recommend checking with our local autocrossers and suspension experts Jeff and Nicole Wong, owners of PropartsUSA.com.  A quick check of their website and Koni Sports for your car are priced similar to tirerack.  Plus you would be supporting an AZ small business.

As for the front end shaking on a car of that vintage, I would suspect the lower control arm bushings are way past their expiration date.  If the bushings (or entire control arms) have not been replaced, I would get that done regardless.  I have done this on a few old cars recently and it makes a HUGE improvement on ride, handling and NVH.  

Thanks for the tip! I'll look into Proparts then and compare to Tire Rack. I've heard of them before; didn't realize Jeff and Nicole ran it! Knowing I only have until the end of June is good to know as well, since Tire Rack didn't make that clear on their site. That's exactly what I needed to know.

And thanks for the advice on the control arm bushings; however, all of them were replaced last year. I ran over a median on a Doordash order, snapping the bushings and throwing the steering out of whack to where alignment didn't help. 😅 My mechanic replaced all the bushings last March, which fixed that issue.

I've got an appointment set with my regular VW mechanic to drop it off tomorrow already. Luckily the misfire isn't too badly affecting driving right now, but gotta stop it quickly. When I was close to broke in 2020, I drove it for a few weeks, including to and from California and Arizona, with a misfire. Not too worried, but concerned as to what it might be and how badly my wallet will hurt afterward. 😆

23 hours ago, smeyers said:

The yellow OTS Koni Sport Shocks have produced a fair number of National Championships and trophies.😉

I have three National Championship Titles on Koni Yellow Sport Single Adjustable Shocks. I believe there are more championships titles that were had on Konis than Bilsteins. I tried custom valved Bilsteins and they sucked big time in the quick transitions and rode very harsh on the road. The Konis are a lot better shock for the quick transitions and ride great on the road.

Edited by Nokones
  • Like 1