Tires and keeping them soft.

Andy

What methods do you all have keeping the rubber soft on tires? Sadly my car stays outside and I noticed the tires are already getting harder. That makes at least my first run very slick at each event. I hate to invest in another set to just let the car sit on but the car needs to stay mobile.

Well my $0.02 is basically you want to keep the sun off of them for sure. The other thing that I found when I was road racing motorcycles was to have the tire gain temperature or loose temperature slowly. So after a race or practice session was done, we would put our tire warmers back on, but unplugged. This helped keep the tires flexible over their usable life. So I would get some cheap moving blankets, think Harbor Freight, and wrap/secure them around the wheels and tires snuggly. 

• Like 1

When I'm not lazy I take my wheels/tires off after events and store them in the house.    It gets really hot in the garage so I'd rather keep them in the AC.   Many years ago I tried some tire softener gel and put them in garbage bags in the garage and it didnt really help.

• Like 1