Autocross School Anyone?

SteveP

I've been thinking about the Novices out there that want to participate in Autocross yet don't have the credentials/experience to participate in events due to Covid-19 rules.

Does anyone know of or is interested in sponsoring a class for Novice drivers?

What about specific events designed for Novices only so that they get some seat time and experience/credibility leading to joining in on the 2021 schedule fun?

All Arizona SCCA autocross clubs usually have Novice Classing.

AZ Solo and Sierra Vista still are able to, Tucson has temporarily limited Novices due to both Covid limitations of numbers, as well as not being able to instruct Novices properly for their events held partially on a road course section of the Mussleman Honda Circuit. Can’t have two people in a car yet.

Four wheels off course there ends your day.

Edited by smeyers

I have noticed more novices because spouses or family members want to join at the events but have to drive to do so. My girl is driving now because that was the only way she could join me. Now she even got her own car for racing... She loves it. I have talked with a few people there that have done the same. As long as family rides along we are good. (same household) So that is what we do. Not sure if adding an event just for them would change anything. 

I attended the Test and Tune session, however I haven't attended an official event as of yet. It took me 2 runs to start getting comfortable. I'm looking forward to attending the coming event next month. 

What does a novice class cover? I may be interested. 

On 11/24/2020 at 7:03 AM, Andy said:

I have noticed more novices because spouses or family members want to join at the events but have to drive to do so. My girl is driving now because that was the only way she could join me. Now she even got her own car for racing... She loves it. I have talked with a few people there that have done the same. As long as family rides along we are good. (same household) So that is what we do. Not sure if adding an event just for them would change anything. 

This is exactly how many of us older folks (much younger like you, then) got started many years ago. Family participation. The Club at that time encouraged more social activities, and many of us encouraged our spouses or significant others to participate/drive with the guys. The Club even held for years a ”Bonnie and Clyde Special Competition” for the many couples we had. Combined times for guy and gal was your score.

So, y’all, keep bringing the womenfolk out, get them to try driving. Focus on the fun and camaraderie, and don’t focus as much on just serious competition. That’s not for everyone. 

Ask my wife.😉

• Like 1