Heavily Modded M5 Class question

Hi,

Another noob here who can't make heads or tails of the rulebook. I've read through the classes and also used the online classing tool here. https://www.scca-classifier.com/a/index.htmlI I think I fall into the SM category. 

Here is my mod list in its basic form. Thoughts?

Body:

·      Hood pad removed, Aerocatch latches installed, factory latch assemblies and cables removed. Hood vent installed.

·      Passenger wiper removed.

·      Trunk lid gutted, spring latches installed to replace factory latch assembly.

·      Complete interior removal. All non essential modules, wires, components, sound deadening removed. 

·      A/C and heat components removed.

·      Sunroof replaced with fiberglass insert. 

·      Rear door glass removed and replaced with fixed polycarbonate.

·      All interior panels removed, only leaving upper dash pad.

·      Front doors gutted to accommodate Nascar door bars. 

·      Drivers window net, and center net installed.

·      FIA battery shut down in the center dash, as well as secondary handle at drivers a-pillar.

·      AFFF (10lb with 4 nozzle) fire system handle in the center dash and passenger a-pillar. Secondary dry extinguisher mounted overhead.

·      6 point roll cage (1 ¾ DOM, .120 wall) installed with forward anti-intrusion bars.

·      Rear strut brace welded in.

·      6 Point harness for passenger and driver

·      OMP fixed seats

·      Sparco flat bottom wheel and NRG quick hub

Chassis/Brakes/Wheels/Tires

·      All suspension rubber bushings replaced with Poly/Delrin/Aluminum.

·      Coilovers installed

·      Bolt in front strut bar

·      Power steering res oversized with additional cooler

·      Rear Sway bar aftermarket

·      Hawk HPS Pads and Stainless lines, cooling ducts

·      Apex Wheels/Square setup with RE71R tires, studs and spacers.

·      Modified rear subframe to reinforce differential mounts.

Engine:

·      Ducted cold air to stock boxes.

·      Long tube headers, cat delete into resonator and mufflers

·      Tuned at 389/363 whp

·      Oversize radiator with electric fan conversion.

IMG_5773.HEIC IMG_5774.heic IMG_5770.HEIC IMG_5771.heic

I do not think you are legal for SM. SM allows limited interior removal, like the removal of the back seat. You can’t gut the car. Since you still have the original motor, the best bet is probably D prepared. Prepared class is for fully race prepared cars which because of the interior yours is. Prepared does not allow engine swaps in a way as extreme as SM, but does allow the motor to be completely built. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jason J said:

Hi,

Another noob here who can't make heads or tails of the rulebook. I've read through the classes and also used the online classing tool here. https://www.scca-classifier.com/a/index.htmlI I think I fall into the SM category. 

Here is my mod list in its basic form. Thoughts?

I can’t wait to see this at an event! 

18 minutes ago, cgroppi said:

I do not think you are legal for SM. SM allows limited interior removal, like the removal of the back seat. You can’t gut the car. Since you still have the original motor, the best bet is probably D prepared. Prepared class is for fully race prepared cars which because of the interior yours is. Prepared does not allow engine swaps in a way as extreme as SM, but does allow the motor to be completely built. 

Thanks for the direction. I hadn't even looked at Prepared class because the classing tool I was using said the heating system couldn't be modified. But after looking at the actual rule book closer I don't see that as being the case. 389 pages is a lot to get through, lol.

18 hours ago, jw1 said:

I would think that this would fall under XP.     Seems like a very cool build, but a few of the mods move you out of the street car based classes, like interior removal and glass replacement.

I think the XP vs DP is set by how much it weighs. The min weight for each class is calculated by engine displacement. What year M5 is this? I can't tell from the pictures. You'll almost certainly be above the min weight for XP, but maybe not DP. 

On 8/16/2022 at 3:13 PM, cgroppi said:

I think the XP vs DP is set by how much it weighs. The min weight for each class is calculated by engine displacement. What year M5 is this? I can't tell from the pictures. You'll almost certainly be above the min weight for XP, but maybe not DP. 

It's a 2002 That started out at just over 4100lbs. I need to get it on scales again but based on weighing stuff as I remove it I would venture to be in the 3200lb range. I added a bit more cage bars and used slightly heavier gauge than I had originally anticipated. I was shooting to get close to or under 3k. Need to add some carbon/fiberglass body panels to get there though.

On 8/16/2022 at 3:13 PM, cgroppi said:

Engine displacement is 4.9l. 

OK, so for 4.9L the min weight is 0.91*displacement+250lb or 2600lb, whatever is less. So 2600lbs. There are some added weights for wheels over 10" wide:

Regardless of the weight formulas above no car may weigh less than 1350 lbs. or be required to weigh more than 2600 lbs. prior to addition of weight adjustments defined herein and in Section 17.

Wheels greater than 10” wide up to 11” wide: .................................. +50 Wheels greater than 11” wide up to 12” wide: ................................ +100

Max allowed wheel width is 12" for DP.

So, if you have 12" wide (or less) wheels and you weigh about 3200 lbs you should be fine for DP. If you have over 12" wide wheels, then it's XP.