Urgent need for volunteers

Manfred

tl;dr The next board meeting is Wednesday October 5th at 7pm. If you're interested in any of these roles, please send me an email about attending the meeting.

I know lots of people have stepped up to help with setup and teardown at events, and I'm very grateful for that. However, the board is in a very tough spot right now. This year we've already lost one board member, two of our longest serving board members have announced they will be retiring from the board at the end of this year, and one more board member has a child due in a few months.

We need to get 3-4 people onto the board by the end of this year, or our ability to hold solo events is going to be in jeopardy. This isn't an exaggeration, we are losing some very key people.

Joining the board has benefits:

• free entry at solo events
  • the work you do in your board position counts as your work assignment for solo events
  • your region membership fee is refunded

The commitment we need from you is typically not that big: 

• you need to be a full status SCCA member in the AZ Border Region (not a weekend member)
  • you need to attend board meetings (first Wednesday of every month, 1-2 hours on zoom)
  • your assigned board position duties (typically another 1-2 hours per month)

A number of board members are not picky about what position they hold, so just because you don't see an opening in the board position you're interested in doesn't mean we can't make that spot available. Ultimately I'd like to get people lined up in the next meeting so that we can get a smooth transition of responsibilities by the end of this year.

Shoot me an email or post here if you have any questions!

• Like 1

A couple questions I've received.

How do I know if I'm qualified to be a board member?

A good board member looks something like this:

• You like autocross enough to attend most of our events, and plan to be around for a year or more
  • You bring positive energy to the table and want to give back to the community
  • You have a pulse, can fog a mirror, etc.

You do not need to be a fast driver or anything. You do not need to know much about how the club runs, we can teach you.

Finding volunteers is hard. If you're willing, that's most of the qualification right there.

I've got a busy life. I want to help, but I'm not sure I can commit to all that.

We all have a busy life. 🙂 That's why we need help. The more board members we have, the easier the workload is on everyone.

I'll admit I don't make it to every board meeting, but I will send a monthly update to the board if I have to skip. The big thing with the commitment is to be a person we can rely on, and to stay in communication with the rest of the board.

Again, if you're willing, we will try to make it work.

• Like 1