Beginner Tips please!

Challenge64

Hi! A brief intro here...I used to race a lot with the SCCA in the late 1990s and am now getting my daughter into racing - she is more than willing - so far so good.

So a lot has changed and I have to ask, now what? So for her to compete in SCCA AZ Solo, I have re-joined the SCCA and she is now a member as well (17 years old). She also has her full competition minor license - but not sure if it is needed?

I understand from other posts AMP is limited to 50 people - one driver and one guest per event?

If the event starts at 7 am and ends at 4 pm, is everyone baking in the sun or are there any amenities? Food truck? Shade?

She will be driving a stock BMW, but I have no idea what class she should drive in. Ideas?

Any other tips or recommendations?

Thanks - Ron A.

Just register early once it opens and you should get a spot. Bring chairs, water, sunscreen, and a couple of umbrellas or a popup but make sure it's secured/weighted. There is a bit of shade but not much. Lunch is generally onsite for 10 bucks, or there are places to get food nearby during downtime. 

Car classing - https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/060/877/2022_Solo_Rule_Bookv8.pdf?1661354272

We have loaner helmets, and people assigned to ride along and help navigate the course. Leave expectations at home, speed will come in time, have fun, and learn!

5 minutes ago, Challenge64 said:

Ugg..Already more questions.

For a minor, do I register her or does she register herself?

Do people bring a lot of support stuff? I certainly don't want to over do it on her first outing but I've got a list of basics needed for the day but not sure..

If she has a valid driver's license she should be fine. But Lance who does registration may chime in.

You don't really need to bring anything other than what I listed above. Just make sure your tires are in good shape and have the correct pressure. Maybe a tire gauge, but for a new driver, it won't really matter much.

She will need a signed SCCA minor waiver, which may or may not have been done previously. The minor waiver is good for one year. 

That waiver needs to be signed by BOTH parents, and witnessed by a SCCA member. The "both parents" requirement is waived if the minor has only one legal guardian. If a SCCA member is not availible, the form can be witnessed by a notary, but that requires one extra form. 

https://www.scca.com/downloads/44545-2019-03-08-waiver-procedures-3-page/download

First off, welcome back!!

Will both you and your daughter be driving?  If so you'll both have to register as drivers once registration opens.  Go ahead and set up profiles on https://www.motorsportreg.com/ for both of you. You will need them to register.

You can also email me at phoenixazsolo@gmail.com if any further questions about registration.  

Lance

18 hours ago, Kim said:

also if your SCCA region of record is Phoenix AZ Solo there is early registration for members of our region 

We are both full SCCA members with Phoenix as our region. Where is the early registration?

I'll get working on minor waivers now but as of now, only she will drive. 

15 minutes ago, Challenge64 said:

We are both full SCCA members with Phoenix as our region. Where is the early registration?

I'll get working on minor waivers now but as of now, only she will drive. 

A few  days before general registration opens Lance will send an email out to PASR members to announce pre-reg. If you have not done already you should create accounts (for any entrants) in MSR, which is the registration site we use for our events.

http://motorsportreg.com

When creating accounts be sure to list a vehicle in the the MSR “garage” and also list PASR in MSR as your region of record. 

40 minutes ago, Kim said:

A few  days before general registration opens Lance will send an email out to PASR members to announce pre-reg. If you have not done already you should create accounts (for any entrants) in MSR, which is the registration site we use for our events.

http://motorsportreg.com

When creating accounts be sure to list a vehicle in the the MSR “garage” and also list PASR in MSR as your region of record. 

Done. Thanks!

My short list of stuff includes - tire gauge, 12V compressor, torque wrench, helmet, pop up awning, chairs, cooler, table, sunscreen, and one teenage daughter.

1 hour ago, Challenge64 said:

Done. Thanks!

My short list of stuff includes - tire gauge, 12V compressor, torque wrench, helmet, pop up awning, chairs, cooler, table, sunscreen, and one teenage daughter.

Keep an eye on your one teenage daughter. They end up meeting someone's teenage son at an event than they become the parents of your grand kids. Although, I'm proud of mine, both became multi year national champions and this year my 17 year old grandson attended his first national solo event. He is a future CAM-C National Champion.

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

So I was able to register my daughter for her first Solo event and I included spots for 2 guests. IIRC the form would not allow names at that point. Do two unnamed guests show up? Or does she have to preregister guests? Well her guest is me. Dad.

Also am I allowed to drive my own car? The car that has space for EZ Up, chairs, cooler...etc..

Thanks

Edited by Challenge64

42 minutes ago, Challenge64 said:

So I was able to register my daughter for her first Solo event and I included spots for 2 guests. IITC the form would not allow names at that point. Do two unnamed guests show up? Or does she have to preregister guests? Well her guest is me. Dad.

Also am I allowed to drive my own car? The car that has space for EZ Up, chairs, cooler...etc..

Thanks

Isabella is your daughter correct?  It looks like she reserved two invited guest slots so I'll need to put both of her guest's names on the list, they go in the Additional Comments box on the entry form.  If she is only bringing one guest, please let me know so I can let someone else use the 2nd guest pass.  The invited guests will also need to complete their own speedwaiver on their own phones to be able to enter past waivers at the gate.  The link to the speedwaiver can be found on your MSR payment receipt.  The guests can bring their own cars, there are two different paddock parking areas, one close to the grid area and one near the entry gate close to waivers.