Classing for 2021 Mazda 3 Turbo

I think I'm going to bring my new car out on the 17th but I don't know what to do about classing. It doesn't look like SCCA has updated the rule book to include the 2021 model. All other Mazda 3s are HS, but previous Mazda 3(ish) cars with turbo are GS. So...???

250 HP, AWD, 320 ft/ torque?!?!?!?!  Able to leap tall buildings too?😲

That yours?

Found this, nothing for 2021....

Street Category
#26992 Class 2019 Mazda 3 AWD
Per the SAC, update the following listing in Appendix A:
HS
Mazda
Mazda3 (2014-19)

H Street may have just upped the ante some.

SS until listed somewhere...😉😉😉

Edited by smeyers

For Street Touring, the power level/weight is on par with the WRX (non STI of course) MK6 golf R, Focus ST, Civic SI, Speed 3, and Audi TT which would probably make it progress into STH at some point, if the SEB compares it to those cars which do happen to be classed in STH progressing from the street category.

Edited by freakin_elrod

I still think the SEB will class it as a DS car because currently nothing AWD in GS has anything close to that power level except for the skinny body WRX which barely makes over 200 hp.

OP, seeing as there are a few folks that may care about the local plastic trophy involved or fair competition, I would probably ask the HS competition if they were ok. If it were me, DS given the info provided and looking at the cars that make up that DS with similar power/drive train and weight.

5 hours ago, MikeRogers said:

My .02 on this question. The Mazda3 Turbo looks and feels like a GS class entry to me. It will be a H Street overdog with 250hp, 310lbs torque and AWD. I disagree

with classing an unclassed new 2021 2.5 turbo car in the lowest street class in the rulebook.

If it makes you feel any better, my tires have a treadwear of 480. 🤪  But seriously, I'm not trying to cause problems.  I registered last night as HS knowing that I may need to change that.  So when I arrive next week I'll ask to have my class changed.  From this thread, I think that DS does make the most sense and that will be my plan unless a better choice presents itself. 

• 2 weeks later...

Notably, the Turbo models get the same torsion beam rear suspension as the other models.

SCCA Classing decisions can sometimes be “adventurous”, but this should be a factor.🤔

H Street .......... Honda Accord V-6........278hp, 252 ft/lbs torque.

Edited by smeyers
Added data

Okay boys I’m back! Just kidding but I’ll throw my opinion into the stock pot. The 2021 Mazda 3 Turbo will probably be a DS car, though it appears that it will be a little bit of an underdog. Yes it has more torque than the WRX, but it’s also on 1” narrower wheels (7” vs 8”). It is also only an automatic with an even heavier front weight bias than the WRX. It is possible that because of these 3 factors (tire width, automatic, really front heavy) that it really might be a GS car. Think back to the pre-STH class, with what was allowed in STX. The 2wd cars could run 265 width tires while the AWD/4wd cars were capped at 245’s. So in those days, a 2015 or newer WRX in street touring would have been up against the 86 twins. 

Unfortunately the only way we can really know locally would be to have someone from DS and GS co-drive for a little while once the car is setup, then petition for a classification change or sell the car (slight joke).