What street tires are the cool kids using these days?

Dov

I stopped auto-crossing 3 years ago when my kid was born and the other bad thing happened. I'm hopeing to get my miata running again and start autocrossing soon (December might be optimistic but for sure by January). So two questions:
1) What tires are the fast street people using these days?
2) Anyone have an easy way to drain a miata fuel tank, I'm pretty sure the gas in it has gone bad by now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dov said:

I stopped auto-crossing 3 years ago when my kid was born and the other bad thing happened. I'm hopeing to get my miata running again and start autocrossing soon (December might be optimistic but for sure by January). So two questions:
1) What tires are the fast street people using these days?
2) Anyone have an easy way to drain a miata fuel tank, I'm pretty sure the gas in it has gone bad by now. 

Dov good to see you are still around.

Tires, there's quite a few choices these days. Pick your poison, Bridgestones RE71-RS, Yokohama A052, Falken RT-660, Nankang CR-1 (or CR-S I think is the latest rendition), or Kumho V730's, just to name a few. I believe Nexen also has a competitive tire out but don't know anyone local that has tried them yet. 

The Miata question I can't answer, but maybe Mr. King or one of the many resident Miata experts can chime in?

• Like 1

Hey Dov!

Good to see you're coming back out. STS has a lot of challengers now locally.

For STS Miata it's Yoko's A052 205/50's. The "tenth" of a second step down is the Bridgestone RE-71RS 205/50. It's still arguable that depending on your driving style one is faster than the other, but so far with the testing it's slower. Only thing to keep in mine is with either tire you have to bring a sprayer when it starts to get 75degrees and above. Long gone are the days that the top tire's "like" heat.

The other options that Sid mentioned are also great options, but noticeably slower. You do however get longer life out of them and they can handle heat.

Fuel tank, Thank you Mazda. 14mm bolt on the bottom of the tank. Driver side before the axle. Easy to access and drain. Be careful not to over tighten when done.

Edited by civil
  • Like 3