Course layout for PASR at AMP 12-11-2022

bill

Hey just want to shoutout to the course designer. I thought yesterday's course had some pretty nifty new elements and combinations. You can see in the run spreads that even top people we're still figuring it out all the way through the 5th run.
(Except Bucki who mopped us. Reeeeally makes you think how the guy winning is also the guy running timing and scoring doesnt it??? 🤔🤔🤔)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, turnrightogoleft said:

Hey just want to shoutout to the course designer. I thought yesterday's course had some pretty nifty new elements and combinations. You can see in the run spreads that even top people we're still figuring it out all the way through the 5th run.
(Except Bucki who mopped us. Reeeeally makes you think how the guy winning is also the guy running timing and scoring doesnt it??? 🤔🤔🤔)

Agreed with Scott, very fun course yesterday. Lots of dirty runs trying to carry as much speed as possible through the slalom-y sequences but super rewarding when it all worked out. 

Also, LOL at the T&S comment - someone is finally onto me! 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This course design was the most fun I’ve had autocrossing in a long time. (Well, except for that finish……..🤣 ). Very much an autocross course, and not so “track-like”. Was never close to my 2nd gear rev limiter even once!

Anyway, what really helped was having the different elements close enough together so that drivers could see what was next easily. No more abundant open spaces/gaps wondering where to go next.

And the relationship between handling and bursts of speed were well balanced, so that the design did not favor one over the other.

More please.👏🙏

Right after last month's event, I got new tires and decided to go with taller tires.  I was hoping that might keep me from bouncing off my 2nd gear rev limiter or shifting to 3rd.  I wasn't prepared for this old school / traditional autocross course!

I was struggling yesterday, but in a good way of being forced to think differently.  I was initially trying to figure out where I could put the throttle down, then I realized I should be trying to carry more cruising speed through all the turning bits.  With cold and new tires, this caused many brown pants moments, but my daughter in the passenger seat was thoroughly entertained!

If there's a library of prior course maps, there was one from around 2003-2004 that I still remember, that was different.  Near the start, it had a carousel that was essentially a 270* clockwise corner where the entrance and exit crossed paths.  Something like that one would be entertaining to do again!

"Something like that one would be entertaining to do again"  

Hmmm, This is also why a variety of designers should be contributing currently.   

Anyway Scott...the circle concept you mention liking can be taken off into a number of interesting directions

The Curly-Q spiral is one example. 1st saw it at a Golden Gate Lotus Club event.

One dives straight in just past the center of a spiral and then go around as the spiral opens up.

It was laid out and marked so well that there were zero off-courses at that event.

The smallest radius can still be pretty large, so the Curly-Q was not onerous at all for any type or size of car.image.png.8fa414a16ceabaf4a658abef60649757.png

Edited by Chuck
  • Like 1