Race Insurance

herrenr

Hi Folks - Question about insurance for events. I know it is not a big thing and probably rare if you have an issue during an Autocross event. Not much to run into and break things. But, I do hear that some insurance companies they stop coverage the moment you drive through the gate. So, if you say, drop a helmet through a back window of your car you are on your own. Also, with this (new to me) event on the road course should, I look into insurance from a different provider just for these? 

You should carefully read your policy in regards to the exclusions and see how your insurer defines those policy exclusions. The SCCA Solo rule book defines the autocross event as a "Driving Skill Event", at least it use to. A driving skill event is not a racing event and most policies state they exclude racing events. I hope this helps.

You'll probably see insurance premium cost for a single track event around $700-800 for the day.

I would not rely on using a sanctioning body definition of autocross to argue coverage is present in a "restricted race area." Coverage is dependent upon the exclusions listed in the policy. State Farm for example specifically excludes autocrossing, road-course, HDPE, and other similar events, no matter what the sanctioning body calls it. There have been events at AMP where vehicles have crashed into and/or through the fence during autocrossing.

With that said, I purchased a $330 annual policy with agreed limits specifically for autocross (no limitations on the frequency). The exclusions are limited, in short, if a vehicle suffers a physical loss/damage during an autocross event, the policy is in force, subject to maintaining the policy in good standing and the deductible.  The policy was brokered through Lockton and the policy is carried by Nova Casualty Company. Lockton also offers road course coverage as well which can be added as an endorsement for a single day event. Policy was effective the same day as purchased.  

Thanks for the comments. I did sign up with Lockton for $404 year coverage on my 2022 Golf R. This is well worth the cost to have the piece of mind. Nice to have an insurance company that is right up front in knowing and dealing with actually what we are doing at a reasonable cost. Hope I never have to use it but good to have.