To TPMS or not to TPMS, that is the question?

David 2

I'm getting my new GR86 soon and will have also have a new set of track tires and wheels for it.  Should I put in TPMS sensors in the track set-up?  Obviously I will not use them to set tire pressure.  This is more of a quetion if there is experience with having nannies/warnings being an issue without the sensors or if there are some good reasons for having TPMS or good reasons for not having TPMS?

Daivd A

My track rims have TPMS installed on them but only so that I know where I put the "spares".  I do not re-sync the TPMS when I change my wheels.  I do not have an audible TPMS alarm notice either tho; it just flashes a couple times and goes solid - I only notice that on the drive back home.

Randy

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Todd A said:

The only reason would be to cancel the dash caution light.  It doesn't effect anything else.  I've been driving my truck for a year with that light on because its not worth changing them until I need new tires lol.

Thanks, I didn't think they had much "track" value but I am a newbie so figure it was worth the time to ask.  

20 minutes ago, ribs said:

My track rims have TPMS installed on them but only so that I know where I put the "spares".  I do not re-sync the TPMS when I change my wheels.  I do not have an audible TPMS alarm notice either tho; it just flashes a couple times and goes solid - I only notice that on the drive back home.

Randy

That's funny about the spares.  I did just learn that my car can sync two sets of sensors.  Since I plan to both Autocross and Rallycross, I think I'll put the 2nd set of sensors in the Rallycross tires.  I'll be driving those tires and wheels to the track.  Though, in Rallycross, the big issue is a de-bead.  You don't need much of a sensor to know when that happens.

My Vette goes into limp mode if it doesn't see TPMS after some amount of time/miles.    I didn't do the TPMS reset one time I headed out to AMP and ended up having to pull the steering sensor in grid so I could complete.    Each car is different in how it is programmed to react in the absence of the signal.

On my 2013 Corvette Grand Sport, I ran my autocross wheels without the TPMS sensors and after three events the System would not allow me to turn off the nannies. I had to put on the street wheels and drive around the block to reset the system for three more events. For my Porsche I had Forgeline to include the sensors in my autocross wheels so I don't have to do the reset drive around the block.

24 minutes ago, jw1 said:

My Vette goes into limp mode if it doesn't see TPMS after some amount of time/miles.    I didn't do the TPMS reset one time I headed out to AMP and ended up having to pull the steering sensor in grid so I could complete.    Each car is different in how it is programmed to react in the absence of the signal.

Thanks for that.  I'll confirm with a current GR owner from some of the GR forums to confirm there isn't a limp mode on the new version.  They are pretty low-tech cars in comparison to many out there (part of the appeal for me), so I'm suspecting they don't have that "feature".

21 minutes ago, Nokones said:

On my 2013 Corvette Grand Sport, I ran my autocross wheels without the TPMS sensors and after three events the System would not allow me to turn off the nannies. I had to put on the street wheels and drive around the block to reset the system for three more events. For my Porsche I had Forgeline to include the sensors in my autocross wheels so I don't have to do the reset drive around the block.

Thanks for the heads up.

14 minutes ago, Manfred said:

It's almost never worth the expense or hassle IMO, unless your car goes into limp mode over the lack of TPMS. The first gen twins don't, and I'd be surprised if the second gen twins changed that.

I suspect the new ones don't go into limp mode.  But that is something I need to confirm.  I don't want to ruin what would otherwise be a good autocross day over something so little.  

Since the question asked is generic, and no one answer will apply to all makes, I can share with certainty that many Hondas (Civics) REQUIRE TPMS to be operative in order to turn off any nannies. My experience was my 2012 Civic Si, but suspect that was much broader than that one generation.

Start the car without TPMS engaged, and all nannies stay on. Others can share perhaps a broader range of knowledge regarding Honda years and Models affected.

3 minutes ago, smeyers said:

Since the question asked is generic, and no one answer will apply to all makes, I can share with certainty that many Hondas (Civics) REQUIRE TPMS to be operative in order to turn off any nannies. My experience was my 2012 Civic Si, but suspect that was much broader than that one generation.

Start the car without TPMS engaged, and all nannies stay on. Others can share perhaps a broader range of knowledge regarding Honda years and Models affected.

Based on your experience with the Civic and the other postings about the Corvettes, it seems the safe thing to do is include the TPMS for many of the newer cars unless it can be confirmed they are not needed.  I suspect "progress" is evolving in that direction with each new model of car a manufacturer releases.  In my case, it is a 2023 GR86.  I'll attempt to confirm, thanks for your answer.

11 hours ago, David 2 said:

I'm getting my new GR86 soon and will have also have a new set of track tires and wheels for it.  Should I put in TPMS sensors in the track set-up?  Obviously I will not use them to set tire pressure.  This is more of a quetion if there is experience with having nannies/warnings being an issue without the sensors or if there are some good reasons for having TPMS or good reasons for not having TPMS?

Daivd A

Did you already buy the new wheels and tires yet? If not I may know a guy with some nice enkei’s with Bridgestones mounted up ready to get out of his garage.. Brian Peters ☎️☎️

No i didn't get the wheels or tires yet.  I wanted to make sure the dealer isn't playing rediculous games on the car purchase before dropping the coin for them.  I'm supposed to pick it up next week.  But I intend to get Enkei PF01's in 17x7.5 in bronze (DS class) and probably the RT660 or RE71rs in 245's.  I'm torn though because the Yoko A052's are supposed to be great, but given we are in phoenix and those are not supposed to handle high heat well, I thought maybe they are not ideal?   But since it is only autocross, how much heat can they really build if I'm not using a co-driver.  But, hey, I'm getting ahead of myself.  I'm still a novice, but I have every intention of being competitive. 

Oh, and, wow, nice corvette.  I'm not ready for that kind of power.  I need to learn how to drive a slow car fast before trying to drive a fast car fast.  Maybe someday.  That's a beauty.

Edited by David 2
because

Another thing to consider is what does it take to relearn the different sensors. On my Corvette I believe it may require a special device/tool to relearn the sensors when you swap wheels with the different sensors. On my Porsche, I can change the wheel settings for my 20" street wheels to the 19" autocross wheels and drive a mile or so to relearn the different settings.

10 hours ago, David 2 said:

No i didn't get the wheels or tires yet.  I wanted to make sure the dealer isn't playing rediculous games on the car purchase before dropping the coin for them.  I'm supposed to pick it up next week.  But I intend to get Enkei PF01's in 17x7.5 in bronze (DS class) and probably the RT660 or RE71rs in 245's.  I'm torn though because the Yoko A052's are supposed to be great, but given we are in phoenix and those are not supposed to handle high heat well, I thought maybe they are not ideal?   But since it is only autocross, how much heat can they really build if I'm not using a co-driver.  But, hey, I'm getting ahead of myself.  I'm still a novice, but I have every intention of being competitive. 

The Enkei's are for DS that Brian has and what ever size RE71rs on them will be a great start for anyone to get in the rythem of Autocrossing. I've driven DS in two BRZ's now for DS and running the RE71's, they do not want heat. Yoko's and Bridgestone have built tires that need to be as room temp or lower as possible. The RT660 is a good tire but needs heat to be it's best.

Also to the TPMS question, I've helped swap off the stock wheels and tires at events and slap on the Autocross set-up with no issue with TPMS... Unless the owner had them already? Talk to Morgan( morganTaylor193 ) he runs a DS BRZ

Edited by civil

53 minutes ago, civil said:

The Enkei's are for DS that Brian has and what ever size RE71rs on them will be a great start for anyone to get in the rythem of Autocrossing. I've driven DS in two BRZ's now for DS and running the RE71's, they do not want heat. Yoko's and Bridgestone have built tires that need to be as room temp or lower as possible. The RT660 is a good tire but needs heat to be it's best.

Also to the TPMS question, I've helped swap off the stock wheels and tires at events and slap on the Autocross set-up with no issue with TPMS... Unless the owner had them already? Talk to Morgan( morganTaylor193 ) he runs a DS BRZ

Thanks, will do.

On 2/17/2023 at 7:45 AM, civil said:

I can go wtih 7.5" wide in DS given I have a second generation twin.  The ones for sale are 7" wide.  So, I decided to pick up a new set of wheels and tires so I could go a little wider.  Thank you for your help.

On 2/21/2023 at 9:12 PM, David 2 said:

I can go wtih 7.5" wide in DS given I have a second generation twin.  The ones for sale are 7" wide.  So, I decided to pick up a new set of wheels and tires so I could go a little wider.  Thank you for your help.

Ah right on.

Good to know.