Body Shop for BRZ

Mach5Mk5

So about a week and a half ago, I was driving to get the BRZ washed and got hit while making a left turn into the parking lot. After the initial shock and frustration it’s the car I JUST bought getting wrecked, I’ve gotten the claim mostly finished. Progressive declared it totaled (without even having an estimate done, they zeroed everything out on the document and didn’t bother), but I’m keeping it and having it repaired minus the salvage value of the car. It actually still drives perfectly normal. I’ve been recommended a body shop, but they might not have availability soon. They’re checking after I sent them pics, but I’d be happy to take backup recommendations. The claim is almost finished to get my payout (just submitted the salvage title summary), so I’d like to get the repairs started as soon as it’s cleared to get it towed over. Anyone have a good body shop, preferably in central Phoenix, Tempe or Scottsdale who can do everything in line with Level III inspection requirements, and may be open to using salvage parts I find online? I’m committed to fixing this one since it was perfect before the crash and has the SSC parts on it (which aren’t damaged to my knowledge). 

7DA71939-1783-4578-8900-BCFED32A97C2.jpeg

46F9C66A-2818-4D60-B3D1-D7EB98462ABB.jpeg

07AD09E4-9C30-4CB5-801E-085028D664A2.jpeg

• Sad 3

42 minutes ago, Mach5Mk5 said:

So about a week and a half ago, I was driving to get the BRZ washed and got hit while making a left turn into the parking lot. After the initial shock and frustration it’s the car I JUST bought getting wrecked, I’ve gotten the claim mostly finished. Progressive declared it totaled (without even having an estimate done, they zeroed everything out on the document and didn’t bother), but I’m keeping it and having it repaired minus the salvage value of the car. It actually still drives perfectly normal. I’ve been recommended a body shop, but they might not have availability soon. They’re checking after I sent them pics, but I’d be happy to take backup recommendations. The claim is almost finished to get my payout (just submitted the salvage title summary), so I’d like to get the repairs started as soon as it’s cleared to get it towed over. Anyone have a good body shop, preferably in central Phoenix, Tempe or Scottsdale who can do everything in line with Level III inspection requirements, and may be open to using salvage parts I find online? I’m committed to fixing this one since it was perfect before the crash and has the SSC parts on it (which aren’t damaged to my knowledge). 

7DA71939-1783-4578-8900-BCFED32A97C2.jpeg

46F9C66A-2818-4D60-B3D1-D7EB98462ABB.jpeg

07AD09E4-9C30-4CB5-801E-085028D664A2.jpeg

That's paintful to look at.  

Definitely has been for me too, I didn’t feel right mentally for about a week afterward, including a few days of the worst depression I’ve had in years. I’ve committed to doing whatever it takes to fix it at this point. Insurance is giving me $12,900 on top of keeping the car, so I’m hoping that’ll be enough, though I can add more on top if needed.

1 hour ago, smeyers said:

I am so sorry this happened to you. Are you OK? Physically that is?

Good luck with the repair.😢

Thanks Scott! Physically I’m perfectly fine. The passenger side got hit with no one else in the car. The other driver was fine too. I’ve gotten a few recommendations from a local Subaru owners group, but open to more ideas for sure. I had the first shop a friend recommended in South Scottsdale tell me they wouldn’t take my car because it’s “too much liability,” which I don’t understand because I thought this was what body shops did? 🤨 So I’m looking at other ones.

13 hours ago, Mach5Mk5 said:

Definitely has been for me too, I didn’t feel right mentally for about a week afterward, including a few days of the worst depression I’ve had in years. I’ve committed to doing whatever it takes to fix it at this point. Insurance is giving me $12,900 on top of keeping the car, so I’m hoping that’ll be enough, though I can add more on top if needed.

I'm reminded of the show $6M dollar man.  You can rebuild it, better, stronger, faster than before!!! Take it on as a challenge.  Do you have another car to AX in the meantime?

34 minutes ago, David 2 said:

I'm reminded of the show $6M dollar man.  You can rebuild it, better, stronger, faster than before!!! Take it on as a challenge.  Do you have another car to AX in the meantime?

Haha my plan is just to get it back to where it was before, I don’t have the money to make it STX or anything like that (though I’m planning to look for a new job soon that pays higher to be able to pay for my car habit lol). Unfortunately I don’t, the GTI’s autocross days are over. Its oil leak isn’t too bad yet, but the engine mounts cause a lot of torque steer thanks to prematurely wearing after less than a year. I can’t replace those without huge costs too, the bracket on the engine for the bolts on the passenger side has time-certs because the bolt holes are messed up when bolts started to back out, and my mechanic said next engine mount replacement the bracket would have to go. Never buy Anchor mounts from Rockauto, they’re junk. Lesson learned 😅

Thanks Stephen! Luckily, I talked to one of the body shops in Phoenix and they explained most places don’t work on salvage title cars because of the liability reasons. However, they did refer me to a body shop in north Phoenix who does. The guy I sent the photos to has been doing this for 31 years, and he said he’s amazed Progressive totaled the car, and that at first glance, it shouldn’t be a huge job to fix (which is exactly what I figured). Having the BRZ towed over there as soon as my insurance adjuster responds to the towing request now that I’ve got my claim payout!

3 hours ago, Mach5Mk5 said:

Thanks Stephen! Luckily, I talked to one of the body shops in Phoenix and they explained most places don’t work on salvage title cars because of the liability reasons. However, they did refer me to a body shop in north Phoenix who does. The guy I sent the photos to has been doing this for 31 years, and he said he’s amazed Progressive totaled the car, and that at first glance, it shouldn’t be a huge job to fix (which is exactly what I figured). Having the BRZ towed over there as soon as my insurance adjuster responds to the towing request now that I’ve got my claim payout!

Its a process.  But, it will all work out in the end.  It is just a shame to miss out on a day of AX.  There are only so many in a year so to miss one is a real disappointment.  Good luck with the new job hunt, seems there are bunch out there.  Given where prices are on used vehicles right now, I think you are probably better off rebuilidng your BRZ than trying to go into the open market and picking up a new/used one.  I'm probably wrong, but I believe used car prices will be significantly lower in 6-10 months than they are today.  

10 hours ago, David 2 said:

Its a process.  But, it will all work out in the end.  It is just a shame to miss out on a day of AX.  There are only so many in a year so to miss one is a real disappointment.  Good luck with the new job hunt, seems there are bunch out there.  Given where prices are on used vehicles right now, I think you are probably better off rebuilidng your BRZ than trying to go into the open market and picking up a new/used one.  I'm probably wrong, but I believe used car prices will be significantly lower in 6-10 months than they are today.  

Agreed, I’m definitely not happy to have to miss a day when I still need time to get used to the car. A few years ago, FRS/BRZ prices weren’t so bad, but now they’re high enough I don’t want to risk another one. I can’t trust another private party car like I could this one either, and dealers are too expensive for me right now. I hope my insurance accepts it back on for coverage as restored salvage, but TBD on that!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar story with my 86.  The adjuster saw engine parts on the estimate and immediately totaled it, but it was just a few plastic bits on the front of the engine.  So I kept it and pocketed all the difference.  I did all OEM parts, but since you are paying, you can swap to aftermarket for things like headlights and save a bunch more.

Thanks, luckily all’s going to end well and this car gets a second shot at life. It’s got a bit of structural damage to the A-pillar and a little bit in the door frame that can be fixed or replaced, but the body shop I’m working with is happy to use used parts on it, which will save me even more money. There’s not actually a ton needed; a new door and mirror, 2 airbags (one for the seat and one for the curtain), a new fender and a couple new seatbelt parts. I’ve already tracked down a lot of the parts locally.

Found out when the shop cut into the damaged door it’s already got bondo on it under the paint, so it’s actually been damaged before. Had no clue, it looked great before, so I’m confident it will again!