Is Anyone Running An Accusump Or Similar?

Eric Evans

Was going over my data logs this evening and noticed that through the sweeper on this weekend's course I was seeing oil pressure as low as 5psi. 😯  Before I rod knock this thing I wanted to see if anyone else had some experience. Obviously Canton is the main player, but there are others, thinking for my situation that the electronically controlled valve is the best option, and rather than use their dedicated pressure switch to dump the charge that I'd have that controlled by the EFI so I can set it exactly where I want it.

Are there any other options out there, besides swapping to a baffled race pan (which may be more expensive, less effective, and a lot more work). 

Wow, only 5 psi! I've got the Canton 3 qt unit on my LS3 powered C5 Z06 and I run it pretty hard in HPDE. I don't data log but I'm unaware of any oil press issues. I'm assuming that you're running that beautiful Chevelle in your profile. Are you LS powered? The Canton system is pretty good but make sure you're not masking an underlining problem. I know some of you folks can really make your vehicles dance on the Auto X course but it's for such a short time I wouldn't think that oil press would drop to the level you mentioned.

@aweZome28  

Yeah, I'm running the '67 Chevelle. And no LS for me, it's an iron Mark IV Big Block 496, at least it's got aluminum heads ;-). I had been a little concerned since I knew my pan was unbaffled so I connected the oil pressure to my datalogs before the event so I could monitor it.  I lined up the datalog with my video and it dropped around 2/3 of the way through the big sweeper, it came back just as I exited the 180 after the sweeper, luckily the whole time it was all light or no throttle. The 3 quart Canton with the electronic valve was what I was going to go with as well, going to control the valve with the EFI so I can modify the trigger point at will. It idles at 30 psi hot so figure I'll start triggering it at 25 psi.

Edited by Eric Evans

4 minutes ago, CMarkmann said:

The long sweeper through the middle of the course this weekend had the fastest people pulling over 1g for at least 7 seconds. That's more than enough time to starve the oil pickup without appropriate countermeasures.

That's exactly where I starved it, luckily all light bearing loading so didn't rattle anything.  Too busy driving to notice the yellow light and then red light as the pressure plummetted below 20 psi. Had no way to read the datalog at the track so didn't see it until I looked at them at home.