Insurance Companies for Restored Titles

Mach5Mk5

Once my BRZ is fixed, I’m not sure if I’ll have to switch insurance companies. Anyone have experience with insuring a restored title car with collision and/or comprehensive coverage? I have Progressive for now, and I read they consider restored titles on a case-by-case basis. I’m open to switching companies; I have no loyalty to any particular one. 

Thanks, good to know. I used to have a salvage title rough old Civic in high school and had zero issues with liability on it, but would prefer full coverage if possible for the BRZ. Still got a loan on it (unsecured but still needs to be paid back, and I won’t be able to pay off any time soon). If I have to go liability only, it’ll be a risk, but gotta do what I have to.

Thanks Scott, I figured I might have trouble getting full coverage. I read Progressive does things on a case by case basis depending on vehicle make and model for RS titles. I’ll have to see what I can get once the car’s fixed then. I’d assume it’ll end up the same for me being offered liability only since it’s a 9-year-old BRZ, not a Lamborghini or something crazy like that.

Progressive did not let me insure my salvage motorcycle online, because the system rejects the new VIN you get from the state. I'm guessing most online insurance places will code their website the same (stupid IMO but you can't change it).

I plugged in the original VIN of the motorcycle to get around this, but it's the wrong way to do it. They'll come back a few months later and say "hey this VIN doesn't exist," or the state comes back to you and says "hey your salvage VIN doesn't have record of insurance" (yes there is some talking behind the scenes between the state and the insurance companies).

I'm pretty sure they would give you liability coverage, but you will probably need to call. I never found out, as I blew up the bike motor and bought the FRS, and just discontinued the license on the bike.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Todd A said:

I have Geico and they just put it right back on my insurance after the inspection was complete.  It was no thing.

Good to know, might have to switch back to Geico from Progressive then. Depends what Progressive lets me do once the inspection is finished and what coverage I can get.

Somewhat related here, but we are shopping insurance companies, and we have State Farm. We priced AAA and they were within a few bucks per month, but offered more coverage and extras.

So next check was Liberty Mutual and we were shocked at their quote........ very close to TWICE what AAA and State Farm were. Maybe it's paying Aaron Rogers for all those commercials........:classic_blink:

Just sayin'.................

On 3/20/2023 at 9:52 PM, Todd A said:

Progressive is a terrible company in general

Not gonna argue with this lol! I don't know if all companies are this slow to just estimate a claim, but they took a week just to determine the car was totaled, and the adjuster eventually wasn't the most responsive when I tried to message him, which was supposedly the fastest way to communicate. They're cheaper than GEICO was for me a couple years ago, so that's why I switched. At this point, I make no guarantees to stay with Progressive. Depends what happens with my rates vs other companies come renewal time. To their credit, they did give me a good payout on the car, exactly what I paid for it minus the deductible, and keeping it wrecked was cheaper than I expected it would cost.

Edited by Mach5Mk5