March 16 Steering Committee Minutes

cgroppi

Phoenix AZ Solo Region Steering Committee Meeting Minutes
March 16, 2023

Present: Lance H., Kevin V., Kim K., Chris G., Steve E., Brian M., Tim B., Kei J., Faith H., Matt U., Ben Z., Mat L., Chris S., , William P., Jonathan Herold (guest)

1.    Region Update: Medium/Large meeting upcoming. Annual minor waiver poster provided by SCCA. Waiver can use if they want. May not, because we need speedwaiver to smooth registration. 
2.    Financials update: YTD $456 loss, but not actually true. Dual event income in December had extra revenue, but then we had to refund in Jan because of cancellation. Actual situation better. Current bank balance is about $32k. Steve thinks this is a little high. May need to address in the future to reduce balance, but OK now. 
3.    Review of weekend membership charge: National will charge $20 for this, but we only charge $15. Kim suggests we should update our charges. But they have not increased it yet. Steve says we are still only charged $15. Consensus to leave it alone until we’re actually charged more. 
4.    Vote on Ken Mitchell as chief of special events: Ken has helped with a couple of special events already. Worth recognition, and willing to keep helping. Motion to vote. Passes unanimously
5.    Equipment update: Tim will check displays because last digit flashes. Ben Z wants to replace our pull carts because they are in poor shape over the summer. Ben will also look into getting more taller chairs. Awards needs to get rid of old awards taking up space. Ben will also get another tent for waiver in case of rain, and will also get weights. 
6.    Registration and waiver process changes: Guest policy has caused confusion and problems last couple of events. Reg and waiver have come up with new process. Guests will have to make a MSR profile, and then register for a guest registration. Guests must enter who they are a guest of, and then register. No charge to register. Automates speedwaiver for guests, and lets lance keep track of guests, make a guest waitlist, and also check to see if they’ve done their speedwaiver. Just before reg closes, reg will print a list of guests who have not yet checked in, so we know who is left who is allowed in. Will also move registration over to check in area. Also wants to get a jump box with inverter to power laptop over by waiver. For pre registrations, Lance will do all of them in advance. If people can’t make It or need to make a change, they will need to contact Lance. 
7.    Length of waitlists:  What can we do to lower number of people on the waitlist. There’s usually 5-10 people on the waitlist who end up not making it in. Also, we always use up all 55 guest spots. We will think about ways we can fix this. But the 200 person site limit plus having to be completely done and gone by 5pm cause a problem. 
8.    Summer event at Snowflake airport / Casa grande airport: Idea with Snowflake is to have a summer event up in the mountains in our summer break. Site has some special limitations and issues because of the shape of the pavement. It would work, but course design would be very limited. Parking for trailers is an issue. Steve thinks we’d have to limit number of people. Logistics of moving our equipment up there will be challenging. Someone would have to take charge of setting this up. Maybe Ken M. might want to lead? No news on Casa Grande. 
9.    Other sites:  Gila bend airport. 80ft wide runway. Site very amicable to us coming. Hot, so we couldn’t have it in the summer. Is someone interested in pursuing it? Matt U: Has anyone looked into Apex? 
10.    Banquet plans: Yes we want a spring banquet. Plan to have it in May. Motion and vote unanimous yes. 
11.    Fall 23 2 day event ideas: Nov 10 makeup of track day on veteran’s day. Driver’s school would be another 2 day event this fall. Maybe Gila Bend would have to be in Spring 24. 
12.    National event possibilities: Occupancy waiver for a national event? It’s been done once for AMP. AMP is OK with it, and is willing to help. But we would have to come up with a weekend to propose when the track was free (so we were the only people there). 6 months ahead of time they’d have to propose to the county to get the waiver. 
13.    Evo school and/or drivers school: Ken/Kei will look into this. Kei will talk to Ken about this for the fall. Kei says more people have shown interest in a local drivers school.
14.    Next SC meeting date: June 29

• Like 3

Regarding #7 about improving the waitlist, I recall sometimes when I try to register, and the Group I ask for is full, I go to the waitlist. In limbo. So I have to email Lance to get released from Waitlist Jail. I’m just stuck.

And, becomes very awkward because I am confused about how to then register my wife, Glenda. What if we can’t later get the same Group, once I get unstuck?

What I’d really like to have happen is get tossed back out with a message like “That Group is full, please select another”.

Is that possible, please?

20 hours ago, smeyers said:

Regarding #7 about improving the waitlist, I recall sometimes when I try to register, and the Group I ask for is full, I go to the waitlist. In limbo. So I have to email Lance to get released from Waitlist Jail. I’m just stuck.

And, becomes very awkward because I am confused about how to then register my wife, Glenda. What if we can’t later get the same Group, once I get unstuck?

What I’d really like to have happen is get tossed back out with a message like “That Group is full, please select another”.

Is that possible, please?

If I made that change Scott, nobody would get waitlisted...  Basically I can turn the option to waitlist on or off.  What happens to you when you describe the above is the group you chose has an open spot when you chose it, but someone else took it before you finished checking out.  There isn't much I can do about that when 80-100 people are all trying to register at the same time.  What I have thought about doing is lowering the available slots from 35 to say 30 drivers per group initially.  This would make groups fill up and sell out faster, but it would leave me some leeway to make adjustments to registrations to clean up issues like you mention such as co-drivers not getting in the same group.  I did this a little bit for the March events because we wanted to give preference to those that were trying to register for both days and it worked okay, but was way more work for me on this end.  Really, I think I've been pretty good about working out getting co-drivers switched around post registration and I think I'd rather handle that after the fact vs trying to come up with a way to prevent it beforehand. 

Another remedy is you can cancel your waitlisted registration and start over by choosing another group.