Will We Be Normal Again?

Nokones

I agree with Jeff in most ways. Years ago we evolved into an AM/PM structure, for different reasons, but efficiency was foremost. It helped those who could not dedicate the entire day to an autocross, and the split day thus allowed us to handle quite a few entries. Of course, we were at the old Firebird/Wild Horse skidpad, and in that day it was limited to three runs timed (smaller courses), with paid TO's.

I'd like to suggest sticking with the AM/PM arrangement, but figure out a good ratio for numbers and costs and such. Don't ever want loaner helmets to return (IMO), but do want the option of allowing friends and family. Like that. I also believe it's safe enough to go back to paper waiver forms.

All I got. Discuss.

I would have to agree with you Jeff. For those that have recently joined our region, in prior times our old model would often overwhelm the system and would limit the amount of runs people would get (for folks that dont know AMP has a no earlier than 8am run start or something to that nature, and a no later than 430pm finish time if I remember correctly but correct me if I'm wrong). Add the 220 + entrants, then add a timing issue here and there, some DNFs, reruns, etc, all of which of course adds time. Time that we have only so much of at this particular site. Which leads to the weak 3 runs max (I'm well aware of national tours only having 3 runs per day, but the masses usually aren't too happy with 3 runs for a 1 day local event).

I would like to open up the events, but I think the region might have to look at some of these learnings from the modified CV19 structure, and find some way to implement it moving forward when they do decide to open back up.

Edited by freakin_elrod

I am ok with whatever event format the committee decides. I just would like the capacity restriction lifted so if I decide to run in the afternoon session, I can arrive anytime before noon and if I elect to run in the morning that I don't have to leave by noon so I can hang and watch the afternoon cars run, and that I be able to bring a friend/wife to watch.

• Like 2

The current format certainly keeps events efficient, however assuming the worst is behind us with Covid do you want to continue turning members away? I come from a very large region where entries were anywhere from 150-200 pretty regularly, and we always finished by 4-5 PM while sill allowing 4-5 runs. In fact we used a similar format of AM-PM groups so that you didn't need to commit to a full day.

I'm not sure how many people are getting waitlisted in the current format, but it seems like not more than 20 or so...so even with 150 entrants I don't see why we couldn't offer the same 4-runs we get now. One of the negatives of the Covid-modified structure is not allowing afternoon entrants on site before noon, this potentially pushes back the afternoon start time. If you set up registration at a different location from the timing area, folks running in the afternoon could arrive by say 11:00 and be teched and registered so that they could do course walks immediately after the AM groups end and start back up sooner. 

Just some thoughts, but I personally feel limiting entries to 100 and turning people away is not ideal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, race2win said:

The current format certainly keeps events efficient, however assuming the worst is behind us with Covid do you want to continue turning members away? I come from a very large region where entries were anywhere from 150-200 pretty regularly, and we always finished by 4-5 PM while sill allowing 4-5 runs. In fact we used a similar format of AM-PM groups so that you didn't need to commit to a full day.

I'm not sure how many people are getting waitlisted in the current format, but it seems like not more than 20 or so...so even with 150 entrants I don't see why we couldn't offer the same 4-runs we get now. One of the negatives of the Covid-modified structure is not allowing afternoon entrants on site before noon, this potentially pushes back the afternoon start time. If you set up registration at a different location from the timing area, folks running in the afternoon could arrive by say 11:00 and be teched and registered so that they could do course walks immediately after the AM groups end and start back up sooner. 

Just some thoughts, but I personally feel limiting entries to 100 and turning people away is not ideal.

7 hours ago, smeyers said:

I agree with Jeff in most ways. Years ago we evolved into an AM/PM structure, for different reasons, but efficiency was foremost. It helped those who could not dedicate the entire day to an autocross, and the split day thus allowed us to handle quite a few entries. Of course, we were at the old Firebird/Wild Horse skidpad, and in that day it was limited to three runs timed (smaller courses), with paid TO's.

I'd like to suggest sticking with the AM/PM arrangement, but figure out a good ratio for numbers and costs and such. Don't ever want loaner helmets to return (IMO), but do want the option of allowing friends and family. Like that. I also believe it's safe enough to go back to paper waiver forms.

All I got. Discuss.

Minimum five runs, AM/PM sessions, $35 entry fees, there’s a starting goal, let’s figure out a way to make it happen. I’m no fan of only four runs. We hit six runs a few times in this new format by starting at 8:30AM and I’d like to have six runs per group again. 

The split sessions seems to be well received by those I talk to and offers much improved flexibility for scheduling so I look forward to this continuing.

I need to be wise during the next event if there are any discernible impediments to increased run counts.

1 hour ago, Clifton said:

I would love to bring my wife again. I'm sure there are others that have a partner that likes to go too. If there's no more restrictions on people per our rulers does this mean guests are allowed again and if not who says when that happens?

This weekends two events will be run under the current no guests/no visitors rule. The SC will be meeting virtually next week to discuss changes to the April event. 

• Like 2

In light of the new CDC Covid-19 Guidelines that were announced a few days ago in regards to wearing face coverings at outdoor events for persons that have received their Covid-19 vaccination and in possession of the CDC Covid-19 Vaccine Record Card, could the committee consider the possibility for persons that received their shots and are in possession of the said card be exempt from wearing face coverings at the April event?

The CDC guideline say nothing about being able to not wear a mask at outdoor events once vaccinated. The guideline state:

You should still take steps to protect yourself and others in many situations, like wearing a mask, staying at least 6 feet apart from others, and avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated spaces. Take these precautions whenever you are:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

Remember, masks protect others from you as much as you from others. And just because you’re somewhat “protected”, doesn’t mean you couldn’t still be a spreader.

I’m as anxious as anyone to move back to previous norms. But doing baby steps is a smarter approach.

I too hate wearing the mask( which is still required), and don't like not being able to invite friends out. But I think since there is only two months left why take the chance and keep it the same. When we resume in September most everyone should be vaccinated and hopefully back to some what normal. I also like the short days but also miss TO's and I'm sure the club losing money not doing TO's. Definitely think we should keep the registration and waiver processes as much as possible, much easier and faster for everyone involved. Less paper work 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nokones said:

In light of the new CDC Covid-19 Guidelines that were announced a few days ago in regards to wearing face coverings at outdoor events for persons that have received their Covid-19 vaccination and in possession of the CDC Covid-19 Vaccine Record Card, could the committee consider the possibility for persons that received their shots and are in possession of the said card be exempt from wearing face coverings at the April event?

There are folks that work in the timing table area that cannot social distance. Agree with the others on this topic, masks are required for March and very likely will be as well for April. 

I believe if everyone keeps patient and plays their part in protecting others by wearing a mask we might be back to a more normal by September. The issue is that a lot of the population is just tired of having to do something that they don’t want to do. So if we do our part, that is a small piece of the larger puzzle that isn’t causing a potential issue. 

Please keep in mind that the move to “back to normal” won’t be everything all at once. It will be more structured, like being allowed to bring guests, but only if they live with you and everyone still needs to wear a mask. This would be regardless if you have been vaccinated, because you can still transmit a virus. Every virus transmission also accelerates the chance of mutation of that virus. So, if there are enough mutations of the virus, then the vaccination is no longer effective, then everything starts over. 

The steering committee as well as everyone else wants things to get back to normal with guests and TO’s. But if we lifted the masks and went full steam ahead and we had a member die, I personally would not be okay with that. I’ve had family member’s hospitalized and my wife had two coworkers die from this virus, so please be patient and we will get through this together. 

• Like 3

Thanks to all for the constructive discussion.  Agree with intentional baby steps back to normal, with the possibility to end up with improvements.  We are lucky that our hobby is an outdoor activity which is inherently less risky than other activities. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Alright.  I am a novice.  I raced one race last spring.  However I raced a few races back when solo was at Firebird 15 plus years ago.  Since I am a novice I have been trying to be really considerate of the veterans during this Covid crap and not signed up.  I bought a car to autocross but I have been patient.  Now I'm hearing members wanting it to stay the way it is so they can get their 4 or 5 runs in?  I'm nearly 60 years old but that sounds really selfish and exclusive instead of trying to grow Az Solo and being inclusive.  What is this organizations direction?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EV H said:

Alright.  I am a novice.  I raced one race last spring.  However I raced a few races back when solo was at Firebird 15 plus years ago.  Since I am a novice I have been trying to be really considerate of the veterans during this Covid crap and not signed up.  I bought a car to autocross but I have been patient.  Now I'm hearing members wanting it to stay the way it is so they can get their 4 or 5 runs in?  I'm nearly 60 years old but that sounds really selfish and exclusive instead of trying to grow Az Solo and being inclusive.  What is this organizations direction?

I too am a novice. While I'm always considerate of others in my hobby I have participated in the last to events. I have been welcomed by the vets and everyone has been very courteous and helpful steering me in the correct direction. My advice would be to sign up for the April event and engage in the drivers meeting discussion. The folks in charge were asking what direction we, the drivers, wanted to go as far as run groups, morning and afternoon sessions etc. Nice to be able to give input. This virus situation has really screwed up our hobby (among other things) and I'm personally grateful this venue has remained viable but I think once we get to the Fall season things will start to improve.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2021 at 1:53 PM, smeyers said:

Remember, masks protect others from you as much as you from others. And just because you’re somewhat “protected”, doesn’t mean you couldn’t still be a spreader.

I’m as anxious as anyone to move back to previous norms. But doing baby steps is a smarter approach.

On 3/11/2021 at 3:06 PM, Todd Hare said:

I too hate wearing the mask( which is still required), and don't like not being able to invite friends out. But I think since there is only two months left why take the chance and keep it the same. When we resume in September most everyone should be vaccinated and hopefully back to some what normal. I also like the short days but also miss TO's and I'm sure the club losing money not doing TO's. Definitely think we should keep the registration and waiver processes as much as possible, much easier and faster for everyone involved. Less paper work 

To my knowledge, no studies have been completed yet to show possible effectiveness of vaccines in reducing spread (especially now in view of those pesky mutations/varients) !

Now , if someone is truly suffering while wearing a mask, there may be an official workaround on that.

I see a few people in stores w/out masks and wonder if maybe they use an official medical reason like COPD or asthma?

I imagine that people w/out masks would simply just be expected to stay out of other people's faces in order to experience some personal relief.

• 3 weeks later...

The AM/PM structure is working nice for most people. With allowing more people to run (35 drivers per group now) it is doubtful that we will see 6 runs again, but 5 is a possibility, also the club may have to increase fees to make up for no longer having TO's

The AM/PM schedule makes it much more likely that I can make an event, so I love it.  The restricted entries and lack of same day sign up are killing new membership, so its not sustainable.

IMHO the inefficiency comes with having to completely separate the two groups, and when those restrictions end, the PMs can register/setup/tech during the B run group, take a quick break for meeting and course walk, and then start.  The AMs can pack up and leave while C is running.

I would also be very happy with 5+ runs and higher entry fees.

I’ve given this a lot of thought. Contrasting the past with the present. I like this current plan better, all things considered. I’ve changed my mind, actually.

Totally agree with everything Todd just shared. Just build five timed runs into an entry, and if necessary charge a few bucks more. The AM/PM structure worked very well many years ago, for many of the same reasons.

Once attendance restrictions are relaxed, having more flexibility would make it even better. Instructors, family, friends.....really miss those options.

if you think about how we were organized before, it was all built off of a structure that fit the larger and more formal events. Especially that “only three runs” part. What we’re doing now with more runs for simpler local events, and not a whole additional structure for Time Onlys makes a lot of sense, organizationally.

This system is much more time efficient, and simpler to administer as well as understand. Better value for the buck, for everyone. Will help build more interest and actual membership.

My two cents.😎👍🙂