New hot tires?

Weeeeee!!!

So after the last 2 events I've noticed a definite loss of grip in my Rivals (they are almost 3 years old). So it's time for new ones, and I'd like to order before the big pre-nationals summer surge and Tirerack is out of stock of everything. What's the new hot tires?

According to my research and Tirerack tests it looks like either the Falken 660's or Yokohama A052's.

Two drivers were comparing A052’s and RT660’s on the same vehicle, switching between runs and were within a 1/10th a second of one another on Saturday. 

Anecdotally the A052’s are rumored to degrade after about 30-40 runs but can be flipped to increase tire use by 40-50%. 

I have no anecdotal information on longevity or performance degradation timeframes of the RT660’s.

I put on a new set of 660’s for Saturday and they reminded me of the peak grip levels of the RE71’s with the recoverability of the Rivals. I really liked them. 

My 2c for whatever that’s worth.

PS; Have you tried Discount-Tire-Direct? 

Edited by Zuko305

I don't know what you drive, but I've heard that the A052s put down power better so if you have a high HP car and care about winning get A052s.    If you are cheap like me and just want to have fun on a decent tire get the RT660s like I have on my S2000.

On 3/15/2021 at 9:25 PM, Zuko305 said:

Two drivers were comparing A052’s and RT660’s on the same vehicle, switching between runs and were within a 1/10th a second of one another on Saturday. 

Anecdotally the A052’s are rumored to degrade after about 30-40 runs but can be flipped to increase tire use by 40-50%. 

I have no anecdotal information on longevity or performance degradation timeframes of the RT660’s.

I put on a new set of 660’s for Saturday and they reminded me of the peak grip levels of the RE71’s with the recoverability of the Rivals. I really liked them. 

My 2c for whatever that’s worth.

PS; Have you tried Discount-Tire-Direct? 

First off, the A052's can NOT be flipped on the wheels as they are an asymmetric tire. Outside has to stay outside. Regarding number of runs, on a STX car, so there is camber, we are probably going to get about 100 runs from a set of tires. I have been logging the tire wear across the tires since the January event. This appears to be very similar tire wear to the RE71R's for us anyway. We have never run on the rivals or the 660RT's, so I can't comment on those.

The A052's are rumored to be the hot ticket for concrete surfaces, as well as wet conditions. I think the A052's are very similar to the RE71R's in most ways, but are a little more forgiving and are not quite as sharp.

If you have a camber challenged car, they will eat the A052's quickly and they really shouldn't be flipped on the wheel.