March Pylon Press

Curious at the answer to #10 of the Pylon Quiz...

Question 10. Hitting a cone at the finish line of a SCCA approved course will result in an automatic loss of time on that run. T/F

Answer 10. False. Hitting a cone at the finish line of a SCCA approved course will not result in an automatic loss of time. However, the safety officer at any SCCA sanctioned event can apply this penalty if they feel the driver’s behavior is a danger to self, others, or the timing equipment.

It was my understanding that all cones before and after the start and finish counted. Case in point, I accidentally hit 2 cones before the starting line for my second run in March, and I was charged those 2 cones (that run stunk anyway), should I have been charged those 2 cones?

Edited by Eric Evans

1 hour ago, Kim Kemper said:

Eric,

All cones (except pointer cones) count a two second penalty. What the Pylon press was addressing is whether a cone hit at or after the finish results in an automatic DNF (no time given). 

Ok, after I asked the question and thought abut it more I was thinking that it meant DNF, thanks for clearing that up Kim.