Will windshield crack pass tech?

I will likely be driving a borrowed C7 Corvette this coming weekend.  BUT, it has a cracked windshield.  It is a large top to bottom crack but is just a crack, not a shatter, no impact on vision, etc.  Is there any problem with passing tech inspection with this issue?

I'll let someone who runs tech or on the steering committee answer for final confirmation as well if they see this, but the 1994 Civic I started autocrossing in had a thin crack in the windshield from top to bottom and wasn't considered unsafe. If it's a thin crack that doesn't mess up vision, I was told back in 2015 that was okay.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, smeyers said:

Still haven’t pulled the trigger on your next car yet, huh Dave? Looks like you are “test-shopping”.

Might want to change the car in your signature line to “TBD” ….😄 😉

So many great choices.  There is the Mustang Mach 1, Camaro SS 1LE, GR Supra, C7 Z51 Corvette, and the almighty (for me), albeit a bit pricey, 718 Cayman 2.5 GTS...... none of which I know how to drive.  Or, go back with a GR86 which seems to work well for me.  Plus, I have the opportunity to test drive my cousin's C7 Z51 and expose some new layers of rubber on his tires.  I can't pass up that opportunity!

Edited by David 2

A quick search of the 2024 SCCA rule book, and I am coming up with zero hits that would disqualify the vehicle.

Even though I am an SC member, I am sure that one of the safety stewards can chime in and issue a final ruling. This is just my feedback from scanning the rule book for a few key words and reading through the vehicle safety inspection (section 3.3.3).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt U said:

A quick search of the 2024 SCCA rule book, and I am coming up with zero hits that would disqualify the vehicle.

Even though I am an SC member, I am sure that one of the safety stewards can chime in and issue a final ruling. This is just my feedback from scanning the rule book for a few key words and reading through the vehicle safety inspection (section 3.3.3).

Thank you Matt

You are not allowed to have severe windshield cracks. I personally don't feel 1 Crack is severe but I would suggest getting it replaced as soon as possible. I know the weather changing makes it very easy to get cracks and they never happen at an opportune time. I don't see anything specific about how bad a crack can be before failing tech. Best I can say is bring it and we can evaluate there but ultimately the safety steward has ruling over all. 

• Like 1

OK, SCCA rules do not specifically mention cracked windshields at all. So the default I think would be Federal or State Regulations......

The federal regulations from the U.S. Department of Transportation — no crack larger than 3/4 inch in diameter, no two cracks within three inches of each other, no intersecting cracks, or cracks directly in the driver's view — are the minimum standards.

Arizona law is exactly the same.

I suggest that you are fine.😎

• Like 1