Full Face Helmets Required for Cars Without Windshields

At the last Tucson event there was a really neat open cockpit/no windshield car competing, and the driver and passenger were wearing only sunglasses. Later a second lady passenger wanted to ride, and had no glasses at all. I stopped her. Some sunglasses were quickly found.

Later I shared that close call with a seasoned SCCA member, and he informed me that just sunglasses are no longer allowed to replace a full helmet face shield in such cars.

I did not know that. Did you?

Here's the rule in the rulebook now.......

Full face or modular helmets shall be worn while competing in an open-
wheel car, formula car, or kart. Face shield, goggles, or similar face protec-
tion (conventional eyeglasses are not sufficient) shall be worn while com-
peting in any other vehicle with less than the standard-size windshield.

So drivers, plan ahead for the next event.............😎

Posted (edited)

Edited: Below information is wrong:

Original post: Just to be clear on the rules, this is not for all cars without windshields, ONLY: Open wheel cars, formula cars, and Karts.

So the atom without fenders needs a full faced helmet or goggles, if they add fenders on they do not.  

(also stated as my car is fendered and windshieldless...)

Edited by DanG

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DanG said:

Just to be clear on the rules, this is not for all cars without windshields, ONLY: Open wheel cars, formula cars, and Karts.

So the atom without fenders needs a full faced helmet or goggles, if they add fenders on they do not.  

Good to clarify, safety was my only concern. Especially eye protection. For any vehicle with no windshield, driver needs proper eye protection. Fenders or no fenders. 

Edited by smeyers

Posted (edited)

Full face or modular helmets shall be worn while competing in an open-
wheel car, formula car, or kart. Face shield, goggles, or similar face protec-
tion (conventional eyeglasses are not sufficient) shall be worn while com-
peting in any other vehicle with less than the standard-size windshield.

@DanG @smeyers

Conventional eyeglasses are not sufficient... It's right there in the original quote... 

On 5/9/2024 at 8:44 AM, DanG said:

Just to be clear on the rules, this is not for all cars without windshields, ONLY: Open wheel cars, formula cars, and Karts.

Edited by Mark111R

4 hours ago, Mark111R said:

@DanG @smeyers

Conventional eyeglasses are not sufficient... It's right there in the original quote... 

Yup I agree I read the statement wrong I did not appreciate that the first line was not a precursor.  I wonder if non goggle safety glasses would comply?     

Everyone…… just use logic and think safety. Forget wording. What would protect your eyes (or teeth?) if a healthy bug or surface debris hit any kind of glasses at say about 50-55mph? What would that do?🤔

On the way down to Sierra Vista last week we hit a bug on the lower right windshield corner. Didn’t know it was a bug until later, thought it was a rock. It was that loud and hard.

Now imagine that on any eyeglasses. On your face.😳 Why take that chance?

Be safe.😎

I agree about using logic for the personal decision, but I want to make sure we know where the line is for telling somebody they cannot compete or ride along as a passenger as well.

Safety glasses are probably fine by the word of the rule. It's not "conventional eyeglasses" and is at least designed to protect from fast/sharp objects. I would just follow up with "how much are your eyes worth to you?"

It's similar to the question around what the cheapest legal helmet is... "How much is your head worth?"  

Edited by Mark111R
  • Like 2

Hello, I am the Ariel Atom owner / driver. I greatly appreciate your concern for my and my passengers safety. That was my first ever autocross event and first time *really* driving the Atom and had so much fun. My passengers and I borrowed the loaner full face helmets and it appeared none of them were equipped with face shields. I'll be sure to bring certified safety glasses for myself and any passengers if I run the Atom on Sunday, as I hope to do (pending a wheel bearing replacement). Thanks!

Also, as long as I've got your attention, did anyone happen to see why I was DNF for my last run? It felt like a clean run and I was sure I hit all the gates and no cones.

Edited by maxgeissler

Hi Max,

Very glad to see you bring that out and test it’s capabilities in a safe environment. Looking forward to some classic Atom vs Stalker battles in the future, once you learn the ropes.

I think you will be very glad you opted for the correct safety eye protection going forward. Cheap insurance. It would only take one unfortunate incident to ruin an otherwise great experience. All it takes is once, and what could go wrong will go wrong. Not worth the chance.

Consider it an investment in safety for years to come. You’ll be very glad you did.😎 See you this weekend.👍.

(Try to ride with Dan - if he even has a second seat. Or, let him drive your car with you as a passenger. Doing that will greatly accelerate your learning curve).

Edited by smeyers