Jump to content

cgroppi

Steering Committee
  • Posts

    169
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    24

Everything posted by cgroppi

  1. I just emailed Lance to ask. He’s the one who set up the registration. We didn’t mean to restrict people to only one guest but the registration may not be set up to allow more right now.
  2. No none at all. But check the rules to be sure it’s not excluded. There are a handful of normal cars that are excluded because of rollover risk, like the stock ford fiesta and the non abarth fiat 500. The vast majority of “normal” cars are fine. Just don’t rent any type of crossover or suv.
  3. If it's stock and not lowered with wider wheels/tires, no. If it is lowered, maybe. The rule to determine if it's legal is this chart. The car has a 64.0" track width and a 69.3" height, so you're not even close. You'd likely need to both increase the track width (wider tires) and significantly lower it (like by over 4") for it to be legal.
  4. Hello PASR members and friends, Registration for the PASR annual banquet at Ground Control Craft Food and Drinks opens at 8pm on Wednesday, November 23. You must register on Motorsports reg to attend. We're limiting the size to 75 people, the max Ground Control can handle. Cost is only $5 each for PASR members, and $20 each for non members and guests (our cost). The price includes all food and non alcoholic drinks. We have shared appetizers, and assorted wood fired pizzas for everyone, with plenty of vegetarian options if you prefer. You can purchase beer on your own dime, since the club cannot pay for alcohol. We'll also be handing out awards for the Fall 21 and Spring 22 series. The event will be on December 11, immediately following our final event of the year, starting at 4pm. We will have the whole place to ourselves. https://g.page/GroundControlLitchfield?share The registration link on Motorsports Reg is https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/end-of-year-awards-banquet-ground-control-craft-food-drink-scca-phoenix-az-solo-079013
  5. I’m digging for Teds username but can’t find it right away. He hasn’t been at the last few events. You’d know it if he was.
  6. Here’s my best run of the day, a 40.145. I was on the struggle bus all day with grip, and had two Brown Pants moments with spins going into the first left hand sweeper. I got the closest to hitting something hard at any time in my 18 years of autocross when I almost spun into the fence in TOs.
  7. Ask Ted Lewis. He’s a pro paint and body guy and the local fender rolling expert. He has the lotus elan with the Gulf oil paint job. Just don’t watch when he gets is baseball bat out (the rolling tool of choice). It may seem sketchy but he really does know what he’s doing.
  8. After a long, long hiatus, the annual end of year banquet is returning to the PASR region! We will have the event at Ground Control Craft Food and Drink at the southwest corner of Litchfield Rd and Camelback starting at 4pm or right after our December event ends if we finish after 4. We will have the whole restaurant to ourselves. The club will be subsidizing food and non-alcoholic beverages for PASR members. We are only charging $5 each, mainly to cut down on no-shows. You may also bring non-PASR member guests and non PASR members may attend for $20 each. We will have a menu of appetizers to share, and a selection of wood-fired pizzas that will keep coming out of the kitchen until we say stop. You may of course sample their great beer selection, but on your own dime. The club cannot pay for alcohol. If you haven't been there, the food and beer at ground control is first-rate and all made from scratch. We will also announce and hand out awards for the Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 seasons. Registration and payment for the event will be through motorsports reg. We just made it another "event". The link will go live for signup at 8pm on 11/25/22. We plan to limit attendance to 100 people. Since we need to give Ground Control an accurate headcount to be ready for us, you will have to sign up online. We won't be able to accommodate walk ins. So please, sign up and join us for some great, cheap food and a long delayed good time! http://msreg.com/PASR2022AwardsBanquet
  9. Hello, This is an announcement for the PASR annual meeting to be held as a zoom webinar on Wednesday Nov. 30 at 6pm. All PASR members are invited to attend. The PASR regional executive Kevin Venisnik will present the elected board for 2023, the status of the region, go over the structure of how the region is run and explain the relationship between the Solo Steering Committee and the PASR board of directors. Members are welcome to ask questions after the presentation. The webinar format will require you to request to ask a question via chat or by raising your virtual hand so we can unmute your microphone and allow you to ask your question. We'll provide instructions at the meeting on how to do this. We will email the zoom link to PASR members as the date approaches and we have the webinar set up.
  10. Yes you can. You'll have to email or call SCCA to add the second region. I think there's also an option to add another region when you renew on the web, but you have to wait until renewal time to do it. You do have to pay dues for both regions, but an extra $20 a year is probably worth it to have the early reg benefit.
  11. She will need a signed SCCA minor waiver, which may or may not have been done previously. The minor waiver is good for one year. That waiver needs to be signed by BOTH parents, and witnessed by a SCCA member. The "both parents" requirement is waived if the minor has only one legal guardian. If a SCCA member is not availible, the form can be witnessed by a notary, but that requires one extra form. https://www.scca.com/downloads/44545-2019-03-08-waiver-procedures-3-page/download
  12. And it was hot. I’m happy my google sheet we use to calculate how many runs we can get had a bug. I was off on predicting our end time by 1 hour. We could have probably done 5 or 6 TO runs and still have been done by 4. But I was happy to get my 8 runs and be done before 3.
  13. Here’s my best comp run, a 43.545. Could be better could be worse. Needs more cowbell all around. Too far off the cones in the southwest sweeper.
  14. OK, so for 4.9L the min weight is 0.91*displacement+250lb or 2600lb, whatever is less. So 2600lbs. There are some added weights for wheels over 10" wide: Regardless of the weight formulas above no car may weigh less than 1350 lbs. or be required to weigh more than 2600 lbs. prior to addition of weight adjustments defined herein and in Section 17. Wheels greater than 10” wide up to 11” wide: .................................. +50 Wheels greater than 11” wide up to 12” wide: ................................ +100 Max allowed wheel width is 12" for DP. So, if you have 12" wide (or less) wheels and you weigh about 3200 lbs you should be fine for DP. If you have over 12" wide wheels, then it's XP.
  15. I think the XP vs DP is set by how much it weighs. The min weight for each class is calculated by engine displacement. What year M5 is this? I can't tell from the pictures. You'll almost certainly be above the min weight for XP, but maybe not DP.
  16. Phoenix AZ Solo Region Steering Committee Meeting Minutes August 11, 2022 Present: Lance H., Kei J., Morgan L., Matt U., Mat L., C. Borger, Kevin V., Faith H., Kim K., Chris G., Ben Z., Brian M., Nick S., Chris S., Steve E., Bill P., J. Rios (visitor) 1. Region Update: 183 members as of the meeting. National SCCA has conference call for small regions that Kim attended. Said it could be greatly improved because it was not really focused on small region’s needs. We should provide feedback. 2. Finances: Region income $2660. Overall total $2700 in the black this year so far. No money from tire rack so far. Tire rack only sends money once a threshold is passed. Need to find ways to increase traffic with those deals. 3. Equipment: Cones easy to get. SCCA national tried to work on deal with company in Wisconsin. Shipping is expensive. Would save if we could have a dock. Nick Sloan’s company has a dock that maybe we could use. Ben Z will count what we have and buy approximately 50% that many. We think that about half the cones need to be replaced. Found an adjustable table that goes up to 37” height. Found chairs of various heights. Need to actually go check to see if that table and compatible chairs Ben Z found will fit. Kim will ask AMP for fence height. Coordinate with Timing and Scoring before buying. Reg and timing and scoring will decide what sort of ez up they want, and if they want it. Our existing ez up may be missing. Need to find it. Lance says 10x20 ez up is best. Need to make sure we get adequate weights. 4. Off duty police for fall series: Law Enforcement Specialists is under contract, but they will not recruit a specific officer for us until after Sept. 1. Brian has a backup company that is $5 per hour more and will schedule a person right away. Kevin says we should stick with the plan. If they don’t show up, we can switch after that. But company seems to be very reliable and well regarded, so they should work. 5. Plans for September event: Lance plans to keep doing early reg and preferred positions for key workers. Will continue to not do onsite reg. Lance will send a reminder email about format. Schedule will be as we had presented in previous meetings. Want to get food vendor. Could use Morgan’s Australian meat pie food truck, or Pat’s hot dogs. Morgan will ask his co-owners. Chiefs checking on their teams to be sure the event will run smoothly. Will Underhill be back? Yes. He says he will. Need to add disclaimer to driver’s meeting about timing and scoring for TOs. Time goes with car, timing will not pay attention to car swapping. Timing quality may be lower quality than for comp runs. 6. November two day event plans: Proposal to do a 2 day event a'la “two days of awesome”. Run like a national event. 2nd day would count for our points series. But would also calculate a two day score for people who participate in both days. Vote to do this with Bucki and Lee as co chairs. Unanimous yes. 7. Goody Store: Payment system set up for goodie store. Placed a test order to be sure everything comes through properly. Will be ready to turn on once that is verified. Will put thread on SC forum once it's ready to decide how to proceed with items and pricing. 8. MLK weekend track event: Jan 15 Sunday regular event, Jan 16 MLK day for track event. Have run events on road course before. Nick says he will do the course map, but would like to have an example if the previous map could be found. Kenny M. said he would consider being the event chair if Lance would help. Elliot has old course design map. Elliot will send it. 9. New sites update: Brian looking into airports for summer events but also tried local airports. None worked. Also have calls into other facilities but no response yet. Maybe Honeywell in northern phoenix. 10. Awards and banquet: Shirts for fall 21, flashlights for spring 22. Will send quotes to Steve to buy since everyone was OK with it. Banquet after December event. Club will pay for people’s food and NA beverages. People responsible for their own booze. Try to arrange limited menu or fixed price per person. Lance will look into setting up registration for banquet for RSVP, and to offer tickets for guests at cost. CG will set up details. 11. Plans for spring series format: After 2nd November event, we will ask people what their opinion is on split session (am/pm) vs all day event format. Both in person at event and as a poll on the forum for actual club members. But also need to factor in what we think so that the events run best. Should decide at next SC meeting. Which should be Dec 1 so that we can have 3 events (one two day) before we decide. Vote to decide at next meeting passed unanimously. 12. Summer 2023 event up north: White mountain lake airport for summer event. $1k per day, $1k damage deposit. Need portapotties or need to rent pilot’s club for $200 more. Dates? June or July for good weather. Two day event? SC is interested. Brian and Steve will look into this more. 13. Chief of Course updates: Nick says he will continue to be Chief of course through this series. Bill P. will be assistant for now. Nick wants to get Bill up to speed first. Nick wants to revisit at next meeting. 14. The next SC meeting will be Thursday December 1. Other business: Nick suggested people have shirts that people who help run the event wear to events to novices know who to talk to. Everyone but one person voted yes so we’ll try it. Morgan will design a shirt and get it made through the goodie store.
  17. I do not think you are legal for SM. SM allows limited interior removal, like the removal of the back seat. You can’t gut the car. Since you still have the original motor, the best bet is probably D prepared. Prepared class is for fully race prepared cars which because of the interior yours is. Prepared does not allow engine swaps in a way as extreme as SM, but does allow the motor to be completely built.
  18. Hello everyone, We would like to invite any members of the Phoenix AZ Solo Region to attend the upcoming steering committee meeting at 6pm on Thursday, August 11. Because we have a very full meeting agenda, we do have some ground rules for attendance: You must contact me (Chris Groppi) by PM to obtain the zoom link. We will not publicly distribute the link on the forum. Attendance is limited to members of the Phoenix AZ Solo SCCA region 117. We ask that you attend as a listener. Our meeting agenda is full, so time for discussion of items not on the agenda is not possible. If you have a specific topic you would like to bring up, please let me know and we can consider adding it to the agenda. If time is not available for this SC meeting, we can include your request in the agenda for the next SC meeting. We are attempting to hold SC meetings every two months.
  19. I think actually the car is legal for STU as well. The engine and transmission tune are legal there.
  20. Any recommendations for a car detailer, either mobile or not? The quality is slipping on the guy I have been using. -Chris
  21. Here was my best, a 44.915. Still lots of time left on the table based on how far off some key cones I was, especially in the northeast sweeper in the second half of the course.
  22. I have heard that both the Continental and the new Bridgestones are more optimized towards the track. Able to withstand higher temps and last longer, but at the expense of peak grip. So maybe not as good for autocross as the Yoks and Falkens. But I don't know anyone personally who has verified this.
  23. There will be 6 run groups. 4 competition and 2 time only. Each will have a max of 38 drivers. So the spots for comp runs are the same as we have now, plus two more run groups for time only. You work one group for each group you run. Usually it’s a/c, b/d and e/f. If you do not elect to do time only you can leave after you work and run for the comp runs. If you stay for time only you run and work one more time. Our region has done all of our events for almost 20 years this way. We only switched to the half day events to get around COVID event size limits in 2020.
  24. I wish you had these for sale before I placed my order with Strano. My new ones are almost done.
  25. I've been happy with Classic Gold in Tempe. They put the 3.90 ring and pinion in my rear diff. I'm assuming they can also handle transmission work. They were recommended to be by Ben Zukowski.
×
×
  • Create New...