4/15 Pic & Video Thread

Jason J

That was an interesting course, and I wish I had signed up for TO's!  There were many quick sections, but used the skidpad well for a longer course.  It at least seemed longer.

I've been working on pushing my comfort level, staying on the gas longer and braking later, but I need to work on smoothing out that gas -> brake transition.  For the first time, I triggered the assisted panic brake "safety" feature... during my 3rd (other video below) and 4th runs, both of which caused me to take out cones.  I had previously read many stories of other RS owners (I'm not sure if ST's are similarly affected) encountering it while autocrossing or at the track.  Even though I was off the brakes and back on the gas so I could power around the corner, the car thought it would be better to keep the brakes locked up and ignore driver inputs.  This nanny can't be disabled or defeated, so I'll need more seat time next season to find the limits of when it engages and how to avoid it.

Run #2, my fastest clean run (48.681):

Run #3:

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, morbid said:

That was an interesting course, and I wish I had signed up for TO's!  There were many quick sections, but used the skidpad well for a longer course.  It at least seemed longer.

I've been working on pushing my comfort level, staying on the gas longer and braking later, but I need to work on smoothing out that gas -> brake transition.  For the first time, I triggered the assisted panic brake "safety" feature... during my 3rd (other video below) and 4th runs, both of which caused me to take out cones.  I had previously read many stories of other RS owners (I'm not sure if ST's are similarly affected) encountering it while autocrossing or at the track.  Even though I was off the brakes and back on the gas so I could power around the corner, the car thought it would be better to keep the brakes locked up and ignore driver inputs.  This nanny can't be disabled or defeated, so I'll need more seat time next season to find the limits of when it engages and how to avoid it.

Run #2, my fastest clean run (48.681):

Run #3:

That's interesting that you can't disable. I use to Autocross an ST and never ran into that, even though most of my events were in the wet (Seattle). I wonder if disabling ABS via a fuse would work?

Had a lot of fun on this course, but never quite felt like I figured out the longer double element corners that would've had me making a smoother single steering input instead a bunch of smaller bites. I definitely had trouble sighting my way into the last right and confidently setting my entry trajectory with the brakes. I got a bit frustrated and really hit a wall at the mid 50s. I ran, in sequence, 50.63, 50.50, 50.90 (first TO, cooler tires), 50.60, 50.55, 50.58, so it's too bad we weren't doing bracket racing. Other than that, I'm not disappointed to be done with these 2018 BFGs, and hope to start getting actual feedback and pace from the tires again in the fall.

Fast comp is shared below, and decided to post my more entertaining 4th TO run that's a bit slower than my 3rd. There may have been a low 50 there if I'd cleaned up a few mistakes.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jason J said:

That's interesting that you can't disable. I use to Autocross an ST and never ran into that, even though most of my events were in the wet (Seattle). I wonder if disabling ABS via a fuse would work?

Pulling an ABS fuse would probably kill any of the brake-based LSD and torque vectoring functions that rely on the wheel speed signals and individual corner brake pressure application to work.

13 minutes ago, CMarkmann said:

Pulling an ABS fuse would probably kill any of the brake-based LSD and torque vectoring functions that rely on the wheel speed signals and individual corner brake pressure application to work.

I believe the car would go into limp mode, or at least AWD-off.  Some guys have disabled abs by using a secondary abs module for the ecu to control (nothing else connected to it), but I think they were ice racing and the nannies added to the abs were worse for them.  It sounds like abs can more simply be disabled by starting the car with all 4 wheels off the ground too, and some additional steps.

I think what triggers it is going right from full throttle to full brakes.  I hadn't encountered this before, so I probably just need to be less aggressive when initially braking.

Jason,  You make some nice videos and I got a real kick out of the present you left me at the end.  Needless to say, we both have lots of work to do.  I've been thinking about this weekend and believe that I'm giving up too much time in those turns.  I think taking some distance out of the turns or carrying more speed through them is part of the solution. Also need to work on car placement and smooth application of brake and throttle.  Lot's to learn.  I was sure, when I left,  that your last two runs would put you in the number one position.  Looking forward to another series of close races in the fall. See you there.  PS... We need to ride with Lewis and get him to show us how to drive quick.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, morbid said:

(I'm not sure if ST's are similarly affected) encountering it while autocrossing or at the

Run #3:

I do both left and right foot braking and I can't say that I've experienced that in the ST. I did have a crappy 3rd run where I plowed cones like you did, but that was due to me being over optimistic on how late I could brake...

Had another great time Saturday.  Unfortunately my Track Addict app didn't capture any data, and I was having a few issues so didn't have time to diagnose.  😕  Was really looking forward to some G Force and Speed data.  Oh well, got all summer to figure it out.  🤪  Here's my "Fast" lap, run 3 of Group D, Had my daughter in the car for the first time, poor thing, she's getting thrown around like a rag doll 😆.  She loved it though.  Seats and harnesses are on the menu this summer as we wait for September.