live timing Feb event

Results are now posted from the second event. There was a glitch in live timing yesterday. Thanks for your patience.  There was one entry that was in a archived class. I got it all sorted. Sorry guys im only half as good as bucki! 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Danielle said:

Sorry guys im only half as good as bucki! 

That's BS!  Far as I'm concerned it was his mistake and you fixed it!!  😉

That makes you just as good as Bucki and even better this month because you were there.  😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Danielle, not aimed at anyone in particular. You and Lance did great to eventually be able to figure this out.

But, someone in management needed to realize that with our formal “scoreboard” down, that drivers would not have access to that critical information. So a “Plan B” needed to be implemented. DNF’s are very important information, especially all four.

For a possible next time.

Edited by smeyers

If there was a problem that the drivers were not able to see or get their times than there should have been a back up plan like get the post-its out and start handing out timing slips as the drivers were coming off course.

• Thanks 1

I just went back to look and it appears we were down one Observer in Group D and the 2 Observers we did have were both not "normal" Observers.  Add in that Danielle was training a new T&S person and it's understandable that the T&S tent was unusually busy and left no time to let Greg know he was DNFing.  It sucks and hopefully we can learn from this and have a better plan going forward. 

If any of the 35 people that canceled their registrations the week of the event are wondering, this is a byproduct of what happens when we run short on experienced workers. 

On 2/19/2024 at 4:24 PM, SSLance said:

I just went back to look and it appears we were down one Observer in Group D and the 2 Observers we did have were both not "normal" Observers.  Add in that Danielle was training a new T&S person and it's understandable that the T&S tent was unusually busy and left no time to let Greg know he was DNFing.  It sucks and hopefully we can learn from this and have a better plan going forward. 

If any of the 35 people that canceled their registrations the week of the event are wondering, this is a byproduct of what happens when we run short on experienced workers. 

It was also announced over the radio all four times by the announcer who was also new. If we do this post it note thing who is going to take it to the driver? We have 3 observers watching 3 cars on course. Timing has 2 people both unable to move and an announcer. 

2 hours ago, Danielle said:

It was also announced over the radio all four times by the announcer who was also new. If we do this post it note thing who is going to take it to the driver? We have 3 observers watching 3 cars on course. Timing has 2 people both unable to move and an announcer. 

Would suggest an observer with radio get Kevin or myself to the timing tent so we can address the situation 

On 2/19/2024 at 3:24 PM, SSLance said:

There were three observers in D group.  I was one of them.  There wasn't an issue with observing (yes I am biased).  We were down to 2 observers for about 1 mintue when we had a lost child incident but other than that it went smooth.  The observers, by design, don't have a time sheet in front of them and they rotate car assignments so they wouldn't know that a driver was pulling a DNF on repeat runs.  But, I will say that all DNF's were announced quite clearly over the PA and I think the announcer did that well, to my recollection.  However, the speakers are set up to announce towards the grid and a lot of times announcements are made before the driver makes it past the exit gate so another speaker pointed inward toward the course and the exit lane could be very helpul.  I think this is probably the best solution.  Personally, I don't have my car radio on to the announcer when I'm on the track as I find it a distraction.

I do agree that it would be great if someone could have gone to that driver and advised there were multiple DNF's. Maybe that driver knew, maybe not.  But, there really isn't a method or time available with the current staffing at the tent to do that.  The observers are busy, the announcer is doing their part to announce it (if the driver is hearing it or payng attention), and the timer is busy recording the times.  If we need another person under the tent to run out and talk with a driver about their messup, that is another worker needed under the tent.  The current workers don't have the available time to go talk to drivers about their mess up.  I personally had a similar issue early in my "career" where I had DNF's three times in a row and didn't know where on the course I was screwing up and ran over to ask some people where.  I was told and fixed it on run 4.  It wasn't their responsibilty to come and tell me, or so I thought.  But, that assumes a driver is aware by checking their runs on Live Timing or listening to the announcer.  I was listening to the announcer and on my third DNF I got an earful from Dave Schotz over the PA who said something along the lines of "He better go find out where he is missing the course".  Dave made it clear on the PA that I was screwing up and it was my responsibility to fix it. 

Maybe the solution is for the announcer to say something along the lines of "someone go talk to this driver, they need some help as they have three DNF's in a row" or, what Dave told me which was that I needed to figure out how to solve my problem.  It was my error and I appreciate Dave making it clear on the PA that I was screwing up and it was my responsibiltiy to fix it.

Another question is when do you trigger that disccussion, at two DNF's, at three DNF's, one DNF?  On that day we only had four runs,  I wouldn't think at 2 DNF's they should be talked to.  But, at 3 DNF's, maybe that is when it needs to be announced very clearly on the PA that some consulting would be helpful and someone can intervene.  The good news is I suspect that particular driver will be checking Live Timing or listening to the announcer very closly from now on.  It is a good lesson to all of us.  I lived a similar experience but mine was very fortunately limited to three DNF's (thank you Dave Schotz).  I feel for Greg but at least it was only a lack of recorded times and not a car breakdown or a cr.sh (I dare not write the entire word).

Edited by David 2
  • Like 1